• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Saint Saen Symphony No.3 -submitted by Danielle

Share/Bookmark

Saint Saen Symphony No.3 -submitted by Danielle

Danielle just sent in an excerpt of the Second Movement of Saint Saen' s Symphony No. 3

[edit: reworked excerpt coming soon]

Ensemble Building (making string sections from individual stringed instruments) was used in this excerpt. Danielle did this while waiting out Hurricane Frances in Florida.

Thanks Danielle!

Enjoy!

ary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: Saint Saen Symphony No.3 -submitted by Danielle

Yeah this is great to hear from our Nicster (Danielle) and nice to hear the storm didn't hamper her talents at all! Nice, very nice.
    Styxx

Re: Saint Saen Symphony No.3 -submitted by Danielle

Well, since ol Frances is dumping rain on me now, I guess I'll have something to listen to when I get home. Can't wait.

Hmm...The link didn't work for me.

Too bad, one of my all-time favorite pieces. I'd love to hear someone take a crack at the last movement where the organ is firing on all cylinders. I have played that familiar chord progression many times on the GPO organ and it sounds BRILLIANT. It is about all my system can handle though. No possible way to add strings, winds, percussion........and piano!!!!

Simply outstanding! You never cease to inspire me. And working on this beautiful, haunting music while waiting out the storm. I need to make use of my time in bad situations like this. Thank you.

Jeff

Thumbs up Re: Saint Saen Symphony No.3 -submitted by Danielle

Ah Danielle, you are truly amazing. What you can do with your talent is quite outstanding. The only thing with this was it left me needing more. Obviously, that is not a bad thing.
    Have you ever considered conducting? You have a beautiful understanding of the orchestra's instrumentation and balance. Just wondering. I think you would make a great conductor.
    Styxx

Lightbulb Re: Saint Saen Symphony No.3 -submitted by Danielle

Danielle - -

My critique would be that it's overall WAY too "big". To me, that movement is barely a whisper almost all the way thru. I believe that it's meant to make the listener "lean forward" in anticipation, as well as contemplation. On a scale of 1 to 10, your dynamics are now about 6 and should be a lot closer to 2, imho.

Impressive start. Are there really no Public Domain PDF scores of this around? I think the MIDI file misses a few notes (or they were possible missed with others being too "front"). This whole piece has been a favorite of mine since about age 11 (weird kid, eh?).

There's a "sample" of an ancient Boston/Munch (dead for 40 or so years?) RCA "Living Presence" recording on this Amazon page.

Perhaps there should be a contest for quietest demo. This piece (as Saint-Saens, I think, wanted it) certainly would be the example for that. When will you grace us with more original Danielle? (Don't be an Alma Mahler and bury your own compositions -- I know you've got em *IN* you!)

my $0.02 -- KevinKauai

LATE WORD: Found another online excerpt here for comparison. (As with the first, you'll need to find the movement listed -- "poco adagio" -- in this case on the contents listing for Disc 2.)
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 09-07-2004 at 04:21 PM. Reason: additional URL

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    Thanks styxx, but seriously the only thing I would be good at is conducting electricity during a lightning strike lol Im to timid and shy. I would most likely pass out and thats the truth.

Cannot remember which composer had a hard time conducting or feared it, was it tchaikovsky?? If anyone remembers let me know. I remember reading about one who did but not certain that it was tchai.
    Not unlike my first time conducting. Got so nervous I had to leave the aud. Standing in the hall I realized that I had to be in control or the orchestra would lose confidence in me or walk all over me. So, I pulled myself together and went back in, picked up my baton, and started with out a word. To my surprise everyone was on cue and I never looked back since. Now the only thing I conduct is my toy train set.
    Styxx

Excellent work, again , Danielle. You make me wish I had more time to play with GPO. Too bad.

Danielle was able to find a copy of the actual score for the second movement. Rather than have this mock-up based on midi and memory she is going to rework the Saint Saen Symphony from the score. The reworked version will be posted when ready. Can't wait to hear what Danielle does with this.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast