• Register
  • Help

Topic: Firewire Drives for GigaStudio

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

Firewire Drives for GigaStudio

Hi

I've no more IDE ports on my PC (physical or logical) and want another drive for music.

Has anyone had any success with using external Firewire drives for either hosting sample libraries or sequencer audio ?

Would it be better to use the Firewire drive for samples or audio tracks ?

Thanks,

Re: Firewire Drives for GigaStudio

Firewire is a good way to go. I have my program data on the internal drive and only my Giga sound data on my firewire drive. You'll find that they are more expensive than internal type drives but they perform very well. I havn't pushed my drive to the limit in terms of polyphony so it depends on how many tracks you want to run at the same time from Giga. The big advantage with firewire is that you can daisy chain up to 63 drives together so expanding outside your computer box will solve your IDE problem.

You can also go for an additional IDE card in the PC. Or better yet, a SATA card, then get a SATA drive and install it in the machine.

If you want the drive to be portable, then external makes sense. If the drive will always be in the PC, it might be cheaper to add the interface card.

-JF

andyt

Thanks Jon, Slinky

Although I've a couple of spare SATA heads on motherboard free, I'm all out of physical space with current 3 IDE drives. Plus the heat generated by the 3 internal drives is starting to get excessive I feel.

I think an external drive, whilst not as fast as SATA, would be a healthier choice overall.

Just wanted to confirm there were no performance issues.

Cheers

I've run both external Firewire and USB2 drives, and both have worked just fine even when pushed hard- at least with Giga 2 and 16-bit samples. But if you already have SATA on your motherboard, another option would be to buy a SATA drive and a case, say, like this:

http://www.cpusolutions.com/cpusolut...TCASE&cc=&tpc=

then you could have an external SATA drive which should keep the heat out of your main computer case, and be even faster than Firewire or USB2.

Best,

- Steve

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Busybox
    But if you already have SATA on your motherboard, another option would be to buy a SATA drive and a case, say, like this:

http://www.cpusolutions.com/cpusolut...TCASE&cc=&tpc=

then you could have an external SATA drive which should keep the heat out of your main computer case, and be even faster than Firewire or USB2.

Best,

- Steve
    Thats a great suggestion. Thanks.

Go Back to forum