• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bringing GPO to the coast of Maine---well at least a couple of tee shirts.

Share/Bookmark

Bringing GPO to the coast of Maine---well at least a couple of tee shirts.

Hi everyone,

We spent a few weeks in New England, first with my family in Massachusetts, then relaxing in Ogunquit Maine. We had a delightful time and got a chance to plug our favorite sample library to a couple of musicians we met. The comments of passersby were interesting since Joani (my wife) and I each had a shirt. Mostly people wanted to know what orchestra we played in, or if our orchestra was playing in town and where could they hear us. A few seemed actually interested, and I had printed up a few little cards with GaryÕs website URL. Mostly, though we got smiles with little nods as if to say, ÒOh yeah, IÕve heard of your band.Ó

Ogunquit is a beautiful, though a little pricy, place, and I would urge anyone who wants to go somewhere where he/she can eat lobster until they start growing claws, to give it a try. We could walk anywhere we wanted to go, and didnÕt need to use the car until time to come home.

The best part of this vacation was that I actually had a chance to practice for a couple of hours a day. That hasnÕt happened on consecutive days in quite some time.

The below link is to a little QuickTime slideshow that I through together for our family and friends. ItÕs about 3 minutes long. So any of you who have absolutely nothing to do, and who might be curious to see mediocre pictures of people you donÕt know and might never meet, and look at a places you may never visit, and see pictures most of which have nothing to do with this forum, are invited to have a look.

The background music is me playing Julia Florida by Barrios. It is a recording I made some time ago with a 6-string guitar, NOT the 10-string that I used for the Vivaldi concerto posted last spring here. I wanted to write something with GPO, but just have not had the time.

ItÕs nice to be back and catch up with all the demos that have been posted. I always check this forum right after my morning jaunt, and often during the day or in the evening between students. This is a great place to hang out. Now whereÕs that virtual beer and pretzels.

Vacation Slideshow

Karl

Re: Bringing GPO to the coast of Maine---well at least a couple of tee shirts.

Ogunquit is a little under 2 hours from my house and is my wife's favorite place. We stopped in on Sunday evening for some seafood in Perkin's Cove on our way back down from northern Maine this weekend. Next time you go up that way travel a couple of hours further to Booth Bay. It doesn't have the nice sandy beach but I think it is much prettier and the seafood is, believe it or not, even better.
    Trent P. McDonald

Karl,

Very neat little slide show. Nice playing too. Like a mini-vacation for the viewer.

Tom

What, no GPO version of "Rock Lobster"?
    Styxx

Smile Re: Bringing GPO to the coast of Maine---well at least a couple of tee shirts.

What a great way to caputure memories. I am sure you are proud of those cute grandkids!

Beautiful song, too. Did you write it?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Karl, that was beautiful and very relaxing.
    Your guitar playing is gorgeous !!!
    I have tears on my cheeks and I don't know why,

WOW!

Karl,

Very nice. I'm kind of stressed out today, and after watching your slide show it helped put life back in perspective. I feel better after watching it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Holy computer chips, I didnÕt think that anyone would really bother looking at this goofy little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Ogunquit is a little under 2 hours from my house and is my wife's favorite place. We stopped in on Sunday evening for some seafood in Perkin's Cove on our way back down from northern Maine this weekend. Next time you go up that way travel a couple of hours further to Booth Bay. It doesn't have the nice sandy beach but I think it is much prettier and the seafood is, believe it or not, even better.
    Trent, Yep, youÔre right. We have been to Booth Bay. We have friends who live in Bingham in the middle of the state. We get up to Maine every 2 years or so, and have been to many of the coastal areas. Maine is about our favorite vacation place.

The innkeeper where we stayed overheard me practicing on our little balcony one morning, and invited us to come back this winter to help them do a promotional package. The money wouldnÕt be great but I wouldnÕt have to play much, and I love the sea in the winter. If we can shake the weekend free that he has in mind it just might be a kick. He and his wife are great people. If it happens, IÕll post it here, and anyone who lives in the area perhaps could come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Karl,

Very neat little slide show. Nice playing too. Like a mini-vacation for the viewer.

Tom
    Thanks Tom, especially for the compliment on the playing. It means a lot coming from an excellent musician like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What, no GPO version of "Rock Lobster"?
    No, but it might be fun to do one dedicated to that belly buster the lobster roll. Had a couple of those while we were there too. They added about 2 inches to the waistline. As the saying goes, the waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    What a great way to caputure memories. I am sure you are proud of those cute grandkids!

Beautiful song, too. Did you write it?

-Kevin
    Thanks Kevin. Those kids are really my grandnephews. We are really close to them and they are almost like grandkids.

No, unfortunately I didnÕt write the piece. It is Julia Florida by Agustin Barrios. It is in deed a lovely piece. Barrios, is to me, the finest guitar composer to date. He was an early 20th century romantic guitarist/composer. He died far to young, yet left us with so many treasures.

Dan and Jeff, Thanks so much.

Thanks again to you all,

Karl

Karl,

Your "goofy little thing" was quite remarkable. Watched the vacation slideshow several times. It was like we were there with you.

Your playing was superb (as usual). Nice to hear that the innkeeper invited you back to do a promotional.

Seems like the perfect trip. What a good looking couple. You two make the GPO T-Shirts look better (You really took GPO on vacation? )

Thanks for sharing an enjoyable part of your life with us.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    Hello Karl,

What format is .mov? When I try to open it it wants to look for an online program to play it or something.
    Hi Danielle,

It was done using AppleÕs iMovie, and saved in QuickTime format. Being a Mac person, IÕm about clueless when it comes to what goes on in PC land. However, IÕm of the impression that Microsoft systems have the QuickTime player bundled in them. Or perhaps Windows Media Player would play it. Anyhow Usually, if you just click on the URL it should play.

Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable about WindowÕs systems could help you. IÕm sorry I just donÕt know what to tell you. IÕd like to share this with you.

Karl

Go Back to forum