• Register
  • Help

Topic: G3 feature comparison with Hal/Kontakt/Mach 5

Share/Bookmark

G3 feature comparison with Hal/Kontakt/Mach 5

Sorry if you looked in here thinking I was providing a feature comparison. Actually, I'm looking for them.

G3 has a bunch of new specs, some of which have simply brought it 'up to date' (unlimited poly, 128 channels etc), but I'm really interested in what people reckon are the core features which make G3 a more valuable tool than the other samplers available. The things which make it a step ahead of the competition.

To kick off, I suppose the features which strike me as having the most impact on my workflow (and which I don't see on other samplers) are:

1. The smaller buffer size. I think someone stated that the required buffer for a sample had now been halved. That means two things:
    (a) twice as many samples in the same machine and
    (b) samples 'load' twice as fast.

What's the actual buffer size per sample required on G3?
    Anyone know how that compares with the alternatives?

2. Native midi rules. More libraries will go the VSL/Post route and require some kind of intelligent midi algorithms. Building them into the sampler makes life a little simpler for us users. Different developers can all use the same set of software tools. If something's missing, an update is probably all that's required.

3. Gigapulse. Integrating Gigapulse with the sampler means developers are more likely to take advantage of convolution processing. I really like what some of the guys like Michiel Post are looking at - making custom Gigapulse IRs in order to model instrument body mechanics is pretty cool.

4. GSIF 2 Kernel level midi. I'm hoping this means a GSIF2 compliant audio/midi interface will have very good midi timing compared to a midi interface which has to deal with user level interruptions. Any opinions?

5. Ability to address 1/2 terrabyte of samples. Sounds ridiculous, but when you talk about libraries the size of VSL and EWQLSO, getting to 512gb doesn't seem like it'll be a difficult task.

Anyone know what the max addressable on the other samplers is?

6. Quicksound. I know it's not new on G3, but having used a couple of alternate samplers in the last year, I have to say I appreciate the way Quicksound invisibly tracks where you move files. It's searches way faster than Winblows too.

Has anyone found something better than this on the competition?

It's late here, and I'm sure I've left some stuff out.

What's the feature which makes the most difference for you?

Re: G3 feature comparison with Hal/Kontakt/Mach 5

Hi,

the best feature of GS2.5 and 3 is "the piano release mode" that Halion or Kontakt is unable to do.

(The real behaviour when you press again the pedal within the release of one key)

Piano sampled library are realistic in GS only.

And the best feature of GS3 is the Gigapulse with realtime effect by midi controller (for example sustain pedal)

Regards,

Olivier

Chadwick,

I can't compare GS3 with other samplers, but I think the features that you list above are a good summary of the top items.

Things to add to the list:

* GS3 now has compression and parametric EQ.

* The group and aux return arrangement is much nicer.

* Channel stacking.

* Two modes of assigning the samples to tracks (audition mode and normal) as well as drag and drop to any track.

* Rather than just pan, we now get pan and width with a nice graphical representation. When used in conjunction with GPulse, you can really get your placement exactly where you want it. Once you "get it" it's really simple.

* VST effect support.

* Rewire.

* Capturing many waves at once.

* Quick Edit

* The ability to change the Bank and Program of the loaded sounds. (Yes! IT works! You do it in the lower right-hand panel.

* The ability to audition sounds from the soft keyboard at any velocity. In auto mode when you click the end of the key you get fff. When you click near the top you get ppp.

* A nicer, yet familiar, editor with a property page approach.

Regarding the stuff you mentioned above,

iMIDI (MIDI Rules) is potentially really great. I played with the SI Fender Strat and got some neat note transitions when playing notes near one another. I haven't dug into it, but I think there's some iMIDI going on. Maybe not, and it's just serendipity, but it really opened my mind to the possiblity of improving instrument modelling with no additional effort by the player, and little system overhead. As a sample editor, this can really expand your world.

Regarding load times, I can load all of VGS, the Post Bos 290 demo the GM500 drums (for metronome) and an overall GPulse instance in about 2:30, taking 47% of my memory on a 1.5 GB, XP 2200+ machine. Being able to load everything one needs to compose and orchestrate in just over a couple of minutes is awsome. Sure, you'll want more articulations than VGS offers for a nuanced performance, and you'll want to use more GPulse instances for a final mix, but the composition/orchestration part just became really fast and easy.

BTW, I've got my MIA running at 64 samples for the GSIF buffer with no problems. Even without GSIF2, latency is very low.

Stuff GS3 doesn't do:

* GigaPulse isn't available to your mixer through software. It's not a VST. (I load my wave files into a DistributedWave gig and process them through GPulse and capture the result to wave. Not pretty, but it works for your non-midi tracks.)

* Giga isn't a VSTi, so it doesn't allow you to store the performance settings in the sequencer.

* No "Time Machine"

That's about all I can come up with.

-JF

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick
    1. The smaller buffer size. I think someone stated that the required buffer for a sample had now been halved. That means two things:
    (a) twice as many samples in the same machine and
    (b) samples 'load' twice as fast.
    Yes, but the GS3 memory footprint without any samples loaded is about 195 Meg on my machine.

Kompakt is only about 50 Meg.

Dunno about Kontakt but suspect similar ?

Actually my GS3 memory usage with no samples loaded is 45 MB.
    Edward W. Trevino
    Dandlewood Productions
    www.dandlewood.com

Just to be sure, you need to consider the memory required by GStudio.exe and msg32.sys in the Task Manager Processes window. I'm away from my Giga PC, so I can't give my number right now.

-JF

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Edward
    Actually my GS3 memory usage with no samples loaded is 45 MB.
    Noticed mine has dropped to 83 Meg having sorted out my VST problems. (Jon, this doesn't include msg32.exe , that is another 26 meg.)

Down to 70 Meg if I disable rewire.

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    Noticed mine has dropped to 83 Meg having sorted out my VST problems. (Jon, this doesn't include msg32.exe , that is another 26 meg.)

Down to 70 Meg if I disable rewire.
    So it's 96 MB without rewire. (Can't ignore Msg32. That's the part that grows as you add samples.) That's less than 5% if you get a 2GB machine. Not bad.

-JF

Go Back to forum