• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Quest For Truth

Share/Bookmark

The Quest For Truth

Hi everyone,

Here's an action/adventure cue I just finished. Comments or suggestions are welcome.

The Quest For Truth

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: The Quest For Truth

Hi Jeff

Sounds good! It is really funny how this has a kind of 80's feeling (at least to me) It makes me think of TV series like Knightrider a.o. (no offence meant here!) perhaps because the strings sound a little synthy.

But it works for me!

Vincent
    And then, all of a sudden, NOTHING HAPPENED!

It does sound a little 'synthy', at least at the beginning when not many intruments are playing. It sounds like a solo cello at the very start? It might sound a little better if it were played by an entire cello section playing short bows. And perhaps work on the string dynamics a bit, but of course I'm not even an expert on that! Nice work.

Hi guys,

Vincent, I don't know about Knightrider, but this was first written 15 years ago initially for a concert band. I wrote it after I saw one of the Indiana Jones movies, so that's the 80's influence.

Sean, it's not a solo cello in the beginning. It is the short bow basses and celli playing in octaves. Maybe the low register is hard to hear on small computer speakers. I think the string dynamics are fine. I wanted to keep a sence of restlessness, so I intentionally kept the dynamics at that level.

I need some help help though on the "sounding synthy". The celli & basses, I wanted to keep a lot of "bite" to their motif, so I really made their notes short. Is that what sounds synthy to you? Or is it levels or EQ? I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment.
    Jeff

Jeff, there seems to be very little dynamic variations in the short attacks or the sustains over the top of them. I would make good use of the modulation controls for the sustained notes in all the instruments and then maybe vary the velocity of the short attacks to mimic the variations of a true performance. Just my two cents for what its worth. The piece itself is wonderful, it could just use some retooling and I think its worth it.

Joesph, thanks for the tip.

JT

Jeff,

Really good work. I liked the composition and your arrangment very much. Good build and unexpected ending.

Sean's and Joseph's suggestions are very good ones. Here's a few more that may help: For the celli and bass motif - try accenting the first beat of the rhythm and try using the variability controls. Also, try doubling the octave with the basses to open it up more. The strings may also sound more natural if you layer some solo collo and bass - may also give it that extra dig. The new updates will also offer more patches like aggressive strings that may help out.

Thank you for posting this. Keep up the great work!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum