• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Power/Surge protection for your Music PC/Network

Share/Bookmark

Power/Surge protection for your Music PC/Network

This is sort of off topic but quite important. I was working on a project a day ago and the power went down for a second. Next thing I knew my PC shut down and I lost quite a lot of work.

I was wondering what you guys use, if any, to protect your music pc/network from power going down or surge issues. Anyone using APC - or the like solutions - if so which ones? If you have multiple pc network, what do you use in this instance?

Re: Power/Surge protection for your Music PC/Network

I use a couple battery backups that my PC's, keyboard and rack gear are on. This comes in handy and has worked probably over 100 times in the past few years. Last year alone I had about 50 outages in the summer monsoon season here in Arizona. Never lost a bit of work.

You'll need to figure out how much power your devices use. Some items such as large CRT's and laser printers pull a large amount of power and it may not work to put them on the battery backup. I picked up an APC refurbished unit that I use to backup a PC, cable modem and gateway for under $40. This model is usually over $100 brand new. The refurbished device comes with new batteries but a limited warranty.

I use also the APC Back-UPS 1400 watts model.
    It's got plenty of AC inputs in the back. Although a bit heavy , It will distibute around 1/2 of power during a black out.
    I wouldn't go without it!

best,

Yves

I agree with the suggestions about a battery backup, which I also use. HOWEVER, the best way to insure that you don't lose work is to save early and often. It is just as likely that your software will crash because of a bug as the power to go out, and no amount of battery backup will protect you from that.

If you ever lose more than 5 minutes work, it is your own fault for trusting that what you have in memory is actually in your computer. It is not there until it is saved!

And even then, it doesn't really exist until it is backed up.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

I also save constantly. Another thing I do is save to 2 files for each project. There is one with the normal name and another with the 'Copy 2' added to it. I'll save a few times to one file and then do a 'Save As' to the other copy.

I've actually had a couple crashes while saving a file in the past which corrupted the file I was saving to. Luckily, both times I had the other copy!

Most of my music apps have an auto save feature.

I was wondering if these APC units also help in surge protection.

I also have an APC - and since I live in Florida, this really helps. There have been at least 4 instances (that I heard of) that the APC unit beeped - meaning there was a slight brownout. Sometimes lightning will strike near our house, and when it happens, it also beeps - meaning that consistent power is still being fed into my pc's. I've changed out three motherboards in the past because of leaky capacitors, and this was before I got the APC unit. I'm positive that numerous lightning strikes near here and the fact that my television (which I turn on and off too many times) is plugged in the same wall socket as my pc's caused them to leak over time. I got the X S 1000 model ($150) - a little pricy yes, but well well worth it.

Re: the CRT power, I've accepted a compromise here - my UPS will power my CRT if a power failure occurs and the CRT is already on (which will typically be the case). However, if the CRT happens to be off when a power failure occurs,
    my UPS is overloaded if I then turn the CRT on - I cannot turn the CRT on until the power returns.

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang View Post
    However, if the CRT happens to be off when a power failure occurs,
    my UPS is overloaded if I then turn the CRT on - I cannot turn the CRT on until the power returns.
    That demonstrates how a UPS works. When not in battery backup mode, it connects your computer and CRT directly to AC mains (and surges). So where is the protection?

UPS has one function - to provide temporary and dirty power during a blackout. It does claim surge protection ... that is near zero. Just enough for many to wish it does surge protection.

If using an industry standard file system, then power loss should only cause the file to revert back to a previous version. Even if power is lost during a file save. UPS is for saving those maybe last five minute changes. To provide time to save that unsaved data. UPS, as manufacturer specification numbers make so obvious, does not do hardware protection.

Why are you responding to a 10 year old thread? The original OP is unlikely to see your reply...

Go Back to forum