• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Anybody have Symphony Of Voices?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody have Symphony Of Voices?

I`ve been checking out Spectrasonics "Symphony Of Voices" choir library and have listened to the demos. I`m very impressed. The "Ligeti" FX sound like they`d be interesting. I assume the one drawback is you can`t form words like VOTA?

Rick

Re: Anybody have Symphony Of Voices?

I would wait to see what Bela D Media (the makers of Diva) have in store. I know a choir library is in the works and I think it is coming soon. Unless of course there's some reason why you need those voices now.

Quote Originally Posted by sunra
    I`ve been checking out Spectrasonics "Symphony Of Voices" choir library and have listened to the demos. I`m very impressed. The "Ligeti" FX sound like they`d be interesting. I assume the one drawback is you can`t form words like VOTA?
    Yes thats right, you cant form words like VOTA. Vota doesnt really seem able to actually "sing", more like shout things that sound something like words, but its pretty damn cool.

TheFX in SOV is quite usefull although it has been used in tons of stuff. SOV itself has been used in a a huge number of soundtracks, includuing those by Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman and John Powel, etc etc. The boys choir is still unique, and the fact its recorded in a gorgeous reverberant hall in London means it sounds great. Its much more etheral sounding than VOTA, much more suited for 'soft' work than VOTA.

The downsides to SOV are the lack of a word builder like VOTA, its harder to produce fast passages like VOTA, and the FX and phrases have been overused, (so creative uses are advised) ALSO, its not for Giga native so you'll have to convert it and tweak the patches. Its still a library worth having, especially for the boys choir, and the the pop stacks are pretty sweet too. And its just so cool to play

Ed
    Me - Out of Context:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/_ed_/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Yes thats right, you cant form words like VOTA. Vota doesnt really seem able to actually "sing", more like shout things that sound something like words, but its pretty damn cool. Ed

Actually I can make VOTA sing audible words by using a wave editor. It`s very laborious though.

Rick

I still find SoV to be a fantastic library. I particularly like the whistling patch and boys oohs patch and yes there are some great choir fx sounds in it as well.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Symphony of Voices ROCKS. Period. No intention of disparaging any other product, at all. But SoV is one of those libraries that qualifies for the description of "vast." There is so much there, and what is there is so useful, that I cannot imagine anyone NOT using it in a commercial recording practice.

I guess I would sum it up as a tremendous collection of vocal color. For word-forming, etc., perhaps you'd want to investigate products which do that. To a degree you can certainly emulate "words" via the moving vowel, and the combo-vowel patches. Personally I don't approach it that realistically. I use it for color, period.

In many ways, I have actually found SoV more desirable than the "real thing." Outside really epic films, you often do not want a huge amount of "performance emotion" in a score. This can draw too much attention, and pull too much focus. In this way, SoV is actually very smart. It puts the color out there, and implies a whole lot of motion without pulling focus.

The fact that you still hear it quite literally all the time should be a testament to its enduring quality. SoV really is one of those "investment libraries," that holds value. I would rank it as one of the best sample libraries ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    SoV is actually very smart. It puts the color out there, and implies a whole lot of motion without pulling focus.
    This is very true. I once spoke to a composer who said he uses "a little bit of SOV" on every single job he does.

In other words, you can use it like a traditional choir that you'll identlfy or for overall colouring.

In fact, I am using it right now for a computer game that calls for a kind of "alien soundscape" it is being used in a unconventional way to help build the overall sound.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Yes, I am one of the lucky owners of Symphony of voices. My favourite patches are the Boyschoir ahhs, ehhs and oohs. I have not got time to use it much though, but it's definately the best samplelibrary I've got. The soprano-patch is also pretty cool, but the tenor is somewhat dissapointing, or rather limited as to how you can use it. I don't have any mp3 of SOV to show you, but you could check if someone here would be willing to post some samples. The official demo is very good indeed, but remember that its very heavy on the phrases/intervals patches; things you could not possible do with the multisampled patches (ahh, eeh etc.)

Despite that, I would recommend you to buy the library if you want choirs with an angelic colour. The library is also recorded with natural ambience so that you should not have to use artificial reverb, or so they say... As opposed to VOTA- the library is very mellow sounding, so the samples would not brake through an orchestral mix that easily or clearly...

One thing that you must check (and I guess that this is true with all sample libraries) is the licence agreement. Some say that if you use the samples on a trailer then they must also be used in the film. Of course if one is writing production/library music there is no control of its end use, so any sample that has this limitation is absolutely useless IMO.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Shantar
    I don't have any mp3 of SOV to show you, but you could check if someone here would be willing to post some samples
    Yeh, I recently purchased it. I cannot compare it with other Choir libraries because I have none but I am happy with SOV. I don't personally have much use for the phrases and there are quite a few here, but the multisamples are worth it anyway.

A track here that used it extensively...

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23776

Go Back to forum