• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GS3 & Echo Layla 24 / no sound no MIDI

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation GS3 & Echo Layla 24 / no sound no MIDI

Hi Guys,

Well I'm thrilled that My GS3 is here!!!

I uninstalled 2.54 and installed 3.0 and then before launching, I installed the latest driver for my Echo Layla 24(6.08) and so on.

Fired up Giga and here's my situation:

Though I show MIDI on my Steinberg MIDEX 8 interfaces, I show no midi coming in to Giga. The port monitors don't show any activity.

Additionally, when I load an instrument file into port one, I don't get any audio even if I play the keyboard part of the Gigga GUI to test it out. So I went to double check my hardware settings and my MIDI in is set to MIDEX 8 8(2) which is the eigth input of my second interface which controls all of my midi stuff. (This is my controller).

So that checked out. I also made sure that Giga was outputting to channels 7 & 8 on my Echo Layla 24 so as not to have any conflict over who is getting which ports.

But no joy. So, I'm wondering if any of you might have some suggestions to try so that I can become a happy Gigger again!

I have been working with 2.54 for a couple of years now and had everything playing nicely with Cbase SX, so I''m hoping that someone can help shed some light on something I might have overlooked. Thanks!!!!!!

System: MOBO: XP Pro / ASUS P4B 533-E with P4 2.4, all Intel chipset. 1 GIG of RAM / 40 Gig system drive / 160Gig RAID 2 stipe array with (2) 8 meg cache WD 7800 RPM Drives / 3 Firewire Drives external/ DVD+/- RW and CDRW drives / Nvidia Dual head 2 monitor card / Hyperthreading doesn't exist on this MOBO / Onboard audio is disabled / No Microsoft Office products on this machine / Most of XP has been pretty stripped down to allow for minimal interference

All suggestions are welcome!!!!! Thanks Guys!!

Re: GS3 & Echo Layla 24 / no sound no MIDI

Maybe you are in ReWire mode?

-JF

Red face Re: GS3 & Echo Layla 24 / no sound no MIDI

Hi Jon!

Never used Rewire before but in the Giga set up I have checked disable Rewire, so is there anything else there that you get a hunch on?

Pat

Nothing pops into my head right now. I'd really look closely through all the setup menus for any other clues.

Also, have you tested the audio & midi independently of GS3, say, recorded MIDI into the sequencer and played audio from Winamp? It would be good to confirm that the media stuff is still working.

If you have a sequencer on your machine, maybe you should use ReWire.

Have you tried running the diagnostics? Maybe there's something there.

No crashes? At least you don't have that to worry about.

You wrote that the MB doesn't support HT. Does the processor have it? Maybe the MB doesn't support turning off HT. I don't remember the older 2.4s having HT, but I believe that they've been moving HT downscale during recent months. I'm an AMD guy. What do I know.

Umm. That's all that comes to mind.

Best of luck. To have it this close and not be able to run it. Man.

-JF

Unhappy Re: GS3 & Echo Layla 24 / no sound no MIDI

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

have you tested the audio & midi independently of GS3, say, recorded MIDI into the sequencer and played audio from Winamp? It would be good to confirm that the media stuff is still working.

If you have a sequencer on your machine, maybe you should use ReWire.

-JF
    Hey Jon

Weel as far as the processor goes, I can't say, but my MOBO doesn't have it.

When you say maybe I should consider using Rewire, what exactly do you mean?

Audio and MIDI as opened up through Giga in Cubase all checks out, so, I'm still stumped....Hmmm........

Things got a little clugy loading up all of my waves stuff, so I'm not quite sure what that's all about.

I would suggest contacting Tascam Tech Support first, followed by EchoAudio Tech support. Given some of the problems some people are having with RME cards, there is always the possibility of a software conflict.

Hi Pat,

Not much help figuring out what's wrong but I did run Giga on my main machine thru a Layla 24 with no problems. Ran it in standalone as well as in tandem with SONAR as sequencer in "non ReWire" mode. Using MOTU Micro Lite for midi interface.

I was told that the GSIF 2 drivers for the Layla 24 should be out this week so maybe that may help you out even if it doesn't reveal the source of the problem. I have seen the the new drivers for the new "3" series of Echo cards are out....hopefully that's not what the tech was meaning and new drivers for the earlier cards will be out soon.

jeff

With ReWire Giga doesn't get MIDI from the MIDI port nor does it send audio to the audio card. Instead it gets MIDI straight from the sequencer and sends the audio straight back, so only the sequencer interacts with the external drivers.

It's a long shot, since some people have had problems with the ReWire setup.

I haven't read about anybody else having the problems that you've had with GS3. Maybe something that you undid from Windows needs to be diddled back again. Did you turn off any services? There may be something important to GS3 that didn't matter to GS2.5.

I think a call into Tascam service is in order. Or, as a next step, you might do a clean install of Windows, just to know where things stand.

All the best...

-JF

I would rather build another computer than do a clean install. I have alot of time invested in getting this machine to where it is.

As affirmed again, I get MID and Audio in and out of Cubase SX even when run inside , or after, Gigastudio is opened.

I'm still looking for suggestions and options, but I am going to build the other computer in any event just as a matter of course.

I've never used Rewire. What is involved in a succesful connection, and how exactly is it connected?

Would anyon suggest that I take out my audio card, and unuinstall the driver and then reinstall it?

Also, GS3, when opening, doesn't seem to like any of the waves Plugs because it shows a funny list of all of them and then fails to load them as a matter of course and when I look in the Giga setup / plugins options it shows the waveshell.dll in the blocked plugins, so Hm......????

Keep those suggestions coming. !!! thanks...... Pat

Rather than build another computer, you could buy a new hard drive and install a fresh version of windows and GS3 on that. Most motherboards allow you to change the boot order these days. It's kind of a hardware-based way of doing dual boot.

If it doesn't solve anything, then you're just out the price of a hard drive - and the extra storage for backups and such is always useful.

-JF

Go Back to forum