• Register
  • Help

Topic: Start to ST. George's 3rd Movement

Share/Bookmark

Start to St. George's 3rd Movement

Here is the start to the third movement of my “St. George and the Dragon”. I hate to post something this early on, but it’s been a pain to get this to this point.

I know, it’s pretty simple – the canon on Chopsticks I posted a couple of weeks ago was more complicated. So why was it a pain?

The two main themes (the trumpet theme and the one at the end with the harp background) came from the original “St. George” that I did years ago. The old way, which was harmonized pretty much on I and V, was so stuck in my head that I couldn’t do anything else with them - I fought for weeks to get something at least a little different. Now that this first time through is finished and I can do variations on these themes it should be easier.

Again, as in the other movements, a lot of modal and medieval stuff to go with the topic.

Anyway, this movement is titled “St. George”. It is purposely pretty simple as I’m making his a bit of a two dimensional storybook hero. Also, I want the music to be very light compared to the funeral march in the second movement.

Anyway, here is the rough first 1:43 of the Third Movement of St. George and the Dragon:

http://trentsworld.com/music/posting...d-9-9-2004.mp3
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 09-09-2004 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Changed link to newer version.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Start to ST. George's 3rd Movement

I wasn't so sure about the beginning, but my how this piece became a favorite at 26 seconds in. I can really imagine this in a storybook hero context like you mention. This is truely outstanding. Very nice Trent. I like where the whole St. George thing has gone.

Oh and please expand on this because I'd like to hear the beginning brought in again later with a little more flair perhaps. Excellent!

Thanks for the comments.

I most likely will rework the introduction a little. I want to keep the same feel but the soprano line gets a little monotonous. I also plan on bringing something like this back in the middle. Well sort of: it will start like this and then go someplace totally different.

I have the whole thing blocked out in mind. Now all I have to do is get it on paper and recorded…..

Thanks again for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

I really liked this piece! It made me go back and find the previous movements you had posted. Great work!

I too hope you continue with this! (Which I know you will . . . since you said you would )

Thanks for listening Sean. I'm flattered that you looked up and listen to the other two movements. Yep, I'm slowly plugging away at it. At this rate it will be the end of the year before I finish.

Thanks for commenting.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

So good to hear another segment of “St. George and the Dragon” It goes quite nicely with the previous movements.

You just keep getting better. I can't wait to hear the entire work when it's completed.

Thanks again for continuing this and for sharing your music with us.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary. A year ago I never would have guessed I would be trying my hand at something of this scale yet as soon as I start playing with GPO this whole thing just kind of gelled. So thank you for such a wonderful product.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum