• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Non stop rain floods part of my studio.

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Non stop rain floods part of my studio.

Here's an ironic twist of fate. Our Floridian friends managed for the most part not to suffer any severe damage to their homes and studios. I being a northerner here in Western New York woke up to part of my studio water damaged by this persistent rain. I haven't assessed any of the loss (if any) as of yet. That's what you get for having a basement studio. Ya just can't fool Mother Nature. The authorities have even closed some schools and the skyway of our thruway.
    Next – A major snowstorm. I can feel it in me bones, captain!

Update. Wife says water still coming in from south wall. (I told her to go outside and dig a trench on the North side.)
    The major equipment hasn't been touched although I may have lost my mixer and keyboard controller. Oh well, what are ya gonna do.
    Wasn't this Florida weather?
    Styxx

Re: Non stop rain floods part of my studio.

Be carefull with the electric stuff Styxx! Maybe I am just being OC, but I'd slam down the breakers before you inspect.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out. I got a controller you can have. I don't use it since I never have time to make music.

Red face Re: Non stop rain floods part of my studio.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Styxx. Good luck and as Brian stated, be careful with the clean up.

Perhaps the silver lining here is that you can get insurance to pay up and you'll get some nice shiny new equipment.

Keep us updated...

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Mike,

IÕm so sorry to hear about your soggy studio. We thought that FrancisÕs rain might hit us here in eastern PA, but as I was checking the radar maps on the computer last night, I noticed that the brunt of the storm was to the west of us. I wondered how you were doing up there in western NY.

I had a piece of equipment that got watered on once. I took its cover off and dried it out with a cool hair drier, not wanting to short it out. Left it out in the sun for 2 days before getting up the nerve to turn it on. Finally when I did it worked fine. I hope you have the same success. I have an extra little controller that I donÕt use much. I would be happy to send it up to you if you need something to hold you over.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Karl

Anyone want a soggy bass drum? I had a GFI system installed just for this reason. The electrician who installed it put a sensor in the basement and when the water gets to a certain level (1”) it trips the main breaker. Nice feature except I kind of don’t trust it so I had my sixteen-year-old daughter go down first with no socks and shoes and stick her pinky in the water first. Just kidding. Actually, there wasn't that much water pooling on the floor. It was mostly in the rugs. One would think the sensor wouldn't have triped but it did.
    Anyone want a soggy bass drum? After this, I think I am going to build an addition on stilts for my studio. But ya know, I'm getting stressed out over this and I am beginning to think about selling everything and becoming an organ grinder. Anyone know where I can get a monkey cheap?
    Styxx

Terrible news, Mike. I hope you get everything dried out quickly and don't have too much damage. Not sure what I could do to help, but if you can think of something, please give me a call and I'll do what I can.

We had about $9K of waterproofing done to our basement and the outside of our house last year. Nearly impossible to afford that, but I'm glad we did it, because this year was the rainiest I can remember. Had to anyway, as we were getting mold (the worst kind) from previous water leakage. I doubt we ever would have sold our house if we didn't get it all cleared up and completely water proofed. The new sump pump kept me up last night, but in a way it was a comforting sound to hear.

In any case, hang in there... from the basement cieling, if you have to.

Shaz (glad to be moving somewhere DRY!)
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Shaz (glad to be moving somewhere DRY!)
    Can I come too?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Can I come too?
    If you can squeeze in the back of the truck! It's only a 15 footer, though, so it'll be tight, and you'll probably have a guitar or two jammed into your ribs. It's only a 36 hour drive, though, so you know... no big deal.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

At least you'll be the only studio out there to sample a 'wet' bass drum.

Go Back to forum