• Register
  • Help

Topic: A wittle hewp pweese...

Share/Bookmark

Talking A wittle hewp pweese...

(Footsteps running up to desk):…click click click click

(Bangs fist on desk)...

I need some tech support please!

Hey, I was just a’wonderin. Does GPO load slower with SATA hard drives? Before my last computer blew, it loaded up like 7 instances in 30 sec. flat. (No SATA drives). Now it takes quite a bit longer. (I was gunna ask: Am I nuts? But that is a whole different thread ), so Am I in error?

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: A wittle hewp pweese...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    (Footsteps running up to desk):…click click click click

(Bangs fist on desk)...

I need some tech support please!

Hey, I was just a’wonderin. Does GPO load slower with SATA hard drives? Before my last computer blew, it loaded up like 7 instances in 30 sec. flat. (No SATA drives). Now it takes quite a bit longer. (I was gunna ask: Am I nuts? But that is a whole different thread ), so Am I in error?

Are you using the original Kontakt player or are you beta?

102008...not beta.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

Well, it shouldn't make any difference at all. I'm assuming that the library files from GPO now reside on the SATA drive. There are some performance enhancements with the new player that decreases the load time dramatically, but I'm not sure if they would apply to yours. It involves turning off an option in the player. You can check for it. It's called "Lock No Memory Swap" or something like that. Not sure if that's a part of 1.02008 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Does GPO load slower with SATA hard drives?
    Brian,
    I have been puzzled by the long load times myself:

On my old 2Ghz Pentium, 512KB, with 1 7200 Ultra ATA drive (also my software dev machine, so a bit loaded) , the Steinway lite loads in 35 seconds.

On my new (dedicated) DAW, AMD Athlon 3200+, 2GB, 2 SATA drives...should be faster...50 seconds. CPU is at 90%+.

It's as though the samples are compressed (high CPU), but why the dramatic, and counter-intuitive, difference in load times between the two machines?

...so I'll just stand behind you in line and listen...
    Bill

What kind of motherboard are you using. Some of the SATA controllers on some boards work slower than the EIDE ports as they go through the PCI bus. Not a very good design.

My performance with my SATA drives is definitely better than the EIDE drives. I load up 1.3 GB of samples in 30 seconds including the current piece I'm working on which is quite large for a MIDI piece (about 17 minutes in length).

Hey guys thanks! MB is Ausus P4C800-E Deluxe.

Since my Kontakt Samples are on my D: drive and seem to be ok, I might try loading a bunch of GPO stuff in Kontakt (the full version 1.53), making a multi, and saving it. Then see what happens...
    Thanks again. I will keep you all posted.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    What kind of motherboard are you using. Some of the SATA controllers on some boards work slower than the EIDE ports as they go through the PCI bus. Not a very good design.
    Haydn,
    My mobo is a K8N Neo Platinum/nVIDIA nForce3 250Gb chipset. The SATA contollers are onboard. No PCI involved. Takes me a couple of minutes to load about 1GB of instruments...
    Bill

Bill,

Some of the motherboards have onboard SATA controllers but they are still routed through the PCI bus. I'm using the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe which actually has 2 SATA controllers. One is part of the chipset and has a separate bus which is the one I have my drives connected. This is very quick.

You'll need to check the specs on this board. Many manufacturers have detailed specs on their boards if you search around. You may even need to look at the nVidia site to see what is included in their chipsets. Many of the manufacturers addon their own stuff to the boards to give it more features which may not give you the greatest performance.

Haydn,
    Thanks. Yes, the chipset has an integrated dual channel 4 SATA RAID controller. My DAW was built by Scott Reams at LiquidDAW. I'll be talking w/ him in the next couple of days and find out what the story is more precisely. This machine should be doing better than it is.
    Bill

Go Back to forum