• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity Information and How To

Share/Bookmark

Question Velocity Information and How To

I've been tweaking my first GPO piece for a few hours over the past couple of days and I am beginning to feel like I'm spinning my wheels a bit. I have discovered that velocity seems to be one of the culprits to my slow progress.

I have a few questions I hope I can get some assistance with. (Be aware that once armed with this information, I will be progresing toward posting a piece. This may not be a good thing. )

Is there a map that describes at what velocity levels instrument samples are switched? As an example, at what velocity levels does the cello attack increase? For the way my mind works it would be nice to know that when I want a soft legato section I should set instruments within a range of velocity x through y and then tweak volume with the mod wheel.

Thanks for any help!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Velocity Information and How To

Well, the velocity crossfades, meaning there isn't a set point where it jumps to another sample. I believe this is accurate (Tom where are ya?) Anyway, I would use the layout in Overture to come up with a dynamic range of what level velocity equals what value. I could post it later if you need it still.

Exclamation Re: Velocity Information and How To

I'm not sure what you mean by the layout in Overture. I have SE, so maybe it doesn't come with SE?

If you don't mind, post it. I'll take a look and if it would be helpful to add some information based on experimentation I'll do so and post the results.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Just click on Options, then on Preferences. Cycle through the tabs (I think its labeled as dynamics) and there will be a list of the dynamics cross referenced with their default values. You could do some tweaking to these numbers based on these, but they're good for a general idea.

"Well, the velocity crossfades, meaning there isn't a set point where it jumps to another sample. I believe this is accurate (Tom where are ya?)"

Strictly speaking, velocity crossfades aren't used for the section strings (sus+short). Instead, the attacks are layered so that only the attack samples respond to velocity. This gives a result similar to crossfades but not identical. Solo string instruments use a "flex" envelope but, again, the result is similar. In both cases the increase in attack strength is gradual with increasing velocity values - no abrupt switching. It's best to choose velocity values by ear. There are some unavoidable sample-to-sample variations and using your ear can take this into account.

As to "(Tom where are ya?):" I had to look around to survey the situation but I'm 99% certain I'm in my favorite chair.

Tom

Go Back to forum