• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 went ustable ... did Windows System Restore ... grace period vanished

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

GS3 went ustable ... did Windows System Restore ... grace period vanished

Okay, so I should have thought it through ... but I did a Windows System Restore to see if I could restore some stability to my system after GS3 went funny again.

What happened was that the Grace Period was set to zero. (I can't do a simple registration because with competitive upgardes the registratio process has extra steps ... and has stalled for me.)

BUT just before that happened ... I had a warning message that said the Registration Code was changed (the first part of the challenge response).

Now I know you can make a back-up of your licence code ..... but I'm wondering now whether this is full-proof. If a user conducts a System Restore to an earlier time, will this F*** up the back-up licence ?

Re: GS3 went ustable ... did Windows System Restore ... grace period vanished

I also lost my 10 day registration - on the first day of the three day weekend. I then installed a clean copy of windows and started over on a fresh hard drive. In the end I found that the problem was an older motherboard BIOS, and possibly incompatible RAM.

I read somewhere that if you click on "restore registration" (or something like that, I'm not at the GigaPC.) it will bump you back to ten days.

-JF

When you do a backup of your registration code, it goes to a different directory from system restore. After you do a system restore, you should be able to load Giga and then restore the registration. You'll be the first to try.

andyt,

You *should* be OK. Restore typical leaves what it calls "application files" alone. Your registration files can be found in the directory where the WhatIsThis.txt file is located. Do a search to be certain and so you know where to tell GS3 to find them when you hit the Restore Registration button at the end of installation. The actual reg files are hidden so you won't see them unless you change your folder options (though there is no reason to look at them). You will still need to run GigaClean.exe off the Applications disk - under the Utils directory. GigaClean also does not destroy your registration files. A good practice would be to copy the reg files to a CD for safe keeping.

What i am wondering is, on a reinstall, can you uncheck the samples and impulses (where you assign a destination driectory for them) and get a good install i.e. so you don't have to wait for them to be copied to disk?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You're not going to get your "grace period" back if you do a system restore or other rollback.

Think about it a minute.

ALL challenge/response copy protection works this way. If you could just roll back to a pre-install state every time the grace period ended, there would be no protection. It would simply be a free ride.

You should never do any sort of rollbacks, clock set-backs, etc., when you're running a trial or grace period on any software, because that's the quickest way to foul it up.

This won't affect your actual license, because THAT can be restored. It's only the grace period which is volatile in this fashion, for the obvious reasons.

Andyt,

AFTER you have registered GS3 (which won't help you now), there IS a registration backup directory that is created. Even if you did a System Restore, you should be able to use the backup directory to restore your registration.

The problem you now have may only be "solved" with a call to Tascam.

I made the mistake of hitting the "create registration backup" BEFORE I actually registered, and it screwed up my registration process (the system did not generate a "challenge code" [Registration Number]). I had to call Tascam Tech Support and provide them with some Windows registry information to actually get registered. Tascam IS aware that there is some "registration logic" that will need to be fixed.

Once you have that registration backup folder though, you are set. Be sure and burn a CD of that folder. With that backup file, you can restore your registration anytime without having to contact Tascam.
    I am the first to admit that CP is a hassle though. The registration restore is a relief to me though.

Cheers
    Dave

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    Andyt,

I made the mistake of hitting the "create registration backup" BEFORE I actually registered, and it screwed up my registration process (the system did not generate a "challenge code" [Registration Number]). I had to call Tascam Tech Support and provide them with some Windows registry information to actually get registered. Tascam IS aware that there is some "registration logic" that will need to be fixed.
    Martin ... I did the same. I wanted a back up of my Grace period conditions, just in case I needed to do a back-up. And GS3 did indeed go through the process of creating a back-up of my licence conditions .... and it did seem to work. It even asked me where I wanted to save ... and I saved it to separate part of my hard disk partitioned solely for data.

But can GS3 find it now ... in the directory I specified ? No.

Anyway spoke with Tascam, and there helping me with a proper registration.
    Hopefully get registration completed today before the weekend. (Is the final part manual at their end ?)

To answer an earlier question, when you un-install GS3 it gives you the option of leaving the Impulse and Content material alone.

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    (Is the final part manual at their end ?)
    I think so. When I had my problem, I read the Support Rep some values from my Windows Registry, and he came back with my Registration Key. I assume he was using the same program that is automatically accessed if you use the "Online Registration"

andyt

Okay all sorted now. Fully registered.

I really screwed up the Registration process. Two mistakes:

- don't do a Widows roll back whilst in a grace period
    - don't attempt to do a licence back-up whilst in a grace period (even though the option is there)

Tascam had to send me a special utility and procedure to re-set the licensing engine. Running this does not re-set the grace period, but jdoes allow to proceed with a normal registration.

- I had to un-install
    - run giga-clean
    - manually remove certain hidden files
    - run the licence engine reset utility
    - and then start the registration process over again

Go Back to forum