• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Laptop suggestions

Share/Bookmark

Laptop suggestions

I'm thinking of getting a laptop to use when I'm on the road...something good enough for music (including GPO, Sibelius, maybe even running a DAW on it eventually). Any suggestions about what to get?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Laptop suggestions

I, at one point, would have recommended Dell, and I guess I still do. I would just pray that you never need tech support since I know more about computers than any tech I've talked to of theirs lately. I think I'll build my own laptop next time.

watch out for fan noise with current
    pc notebook cpu speeds.

i had to return mine because of too many fans whirling at the same time.

i eventually switched to Mac powerbook....love it to death!!!

Yea... well, I am still torn on the mac vs Pc laptop issue. I have both a mac and PC's in my office/studio and I use PC's only at work. The laptop would be used for both personal and work and some music. Tend to think the Apple would be awesome but not work well for work.

As far as PC laptops, I think I've pretty much decided it will either be an HP, IBM or Dell. Those seem to be getting the best reviews. However, I need to narrow down even more, which specific models are best for say, GPO use on an airplane trip. Battery life, fan noise, CPU speed, memory, screen size..etc.. THere are big huge laptops that are fast and full of features, but they are heavy (and as someone else pointed out..noisy). But I don't wanna go too small either.

Any specific suggestions about specific features I should make sure to get (such as firewire) and also bare minimum CPU/RAM requirements...

That Powerbook you got, which one did you get and how does it fare with GPO and a notational program?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

I just got the Acer Aspire 1711 desktop replacement. OK, I know it is really a hybrid between a notebook and a desktop, but at least it is easier to bring it around (the other option is getting 2U and 4U racks).

This is a real monster notebook/ desktop replacement. P4 2.8-3.2 GHz. When Acer said "desktop replacement" they meant it. Everything inside this machine is like a desktop - the harddrive is the large 3.5" desktop HD (Seagate, 80GB, 7200rpm) and the RAM is the standard desktop DDR RAM (upgradable to 2GB). Even the CPU is upgradable! It has a 17" monitor and a full keyboard with numeric pad. It also has two (2) firewire ports. The only thing is that it weights 7kg with the battery - but still lighter than carrying racks around.

This machine is exactly like a real desktop and is really fast. I'm waiting for my Echo Indigo, then I'll try GS3 on it with a firewire drive. I've dual booted it with an empty partition waiting for GS3. I'm really keen to know its DAW performance as compared to a desktop. Until my soundcard and GS3 arrives, it just had to wait.

I bought a Toshiba A45-S250 - out-of-the-box, a great machine - and maxed out the memory to 2GB. That allows me to run Sonar 3 with 55 GPO instruments loaded. No overhead problems whatsoever.

[Generally, I work from a 55-instrument template. But I've loaded quite a few more instruments into memory with no noticeable problems.]

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    I'm thinking of getting a laptop to use when I'm on the road...something good enough for music (including GPO, Sibelius, maybe even running a DAW on it eventually). Any suggestions about what to get?
    Have you checked out DawBox or Wave Digital systems?
    They make powerful laptops for audio use.

http://www.dawbox.com/

http://www.wavedigital.com/

NDEE

Thanks everyone for your insights thus far. What kind of audio/midi interface do you use with that Toshiba?

Sears has a sale on long extension chords.
    Styxx

wow, I must admit, those are some sweet looking laptops. I will have to keep those in mind. They are definitely a bit more expensive than others on the market, but given the configuration, might be worth it. I especially like the first one of the two. But when I loaded it up with memory and 2nd hard drive, it was like $3400, which is a lot of dough.. I definitely like how they're spec'd though.

Go Back to forum