• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MAC OS9 to OSX

Share/Bookmark

MAC OS9 to OSX

Hi everybody,
    I am switching to DP4 which means I need OSX 10. Conveniently, my Mac G4 dual 1ghz has OSX 10.2 already installed on it, as well as OS9.

Is it foolish to install DP4 with out first updating to OSX 10.3.5?

If I install OSX 10.3.5, will this wipe out OS9?
    I am under the impression that OS9 will remain, but OSX 10.2 will be over written. Correct?

I also realize DP4 has an update to 4.12 and that will be obtained from Motu's website.

Thanks to anyone that is willing to shed some light on this dilema....
    DPDan

Re: MAC OS9 to OSX

I use GPO in DP4.12 on a dual G4 1.25 / OS 10.2.8 with no problems. At some point I know I'm gonna have to go to a G5 for the speed, and of course jump to 10.3 (although I'd like to wait for Tiger to come out). But DP does work OK on 10.2.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi
    Is it foolish to install DP4 with out first updating to OSX 10.3.5?
    Hi Dan,
    Not at all. DP works fine with 10.2.8. I have found, however, that 10.3 does give you better performance with audio. Remember, 10.x is a real memory and processor hog compared to O.S. 9, and it takes a little getting used too. However, a week of unraveling PantherÕs mysteries, and I was hooked. Would never go back.
    If I install OSX 10.3.5, will this wipe out OS9?
    I am under the impression that OS9 will remain, but OSX 10.2 will be over written. Correct?
    You are correct.
    I also realize DP4 has an update to 4.12 and that will be obtained from Motu's website.
    Yes this is true, but I seem to remember something about the v.4.12Ōs audio drivers not updating from v.4.0 directly. You may have to update v.4.1Õs drivers first, or something like that. You should check this out before you get yourself into a little mess.

Karl

okie dokie, thanks guys. One thing I am happy about, I am using GPO strictly as a stand alone on a separate Dell PC and piping the sounds into DP via an RME Hammerfal HDSP 9652 soundcard, so the fact that OSX is more of a CPU hog, hopefully won't be a problem.
    I'll be back with some questions, but hopefully everything will go reasonably smooth. thanks everybody

I would recommend upgrading to 10.3, there have been many incremental improvements in audio along the way, and some of Apple's newer technologies require 10.3. Do a complete backup of your system drive before any OS installation just to be safe. I have always run OS X and OS 9 music stuff from system folders on separate partitions but that's probably just superstition on my part, you should be able to have them on the same partition no problem.

I am going to install DP4.12 later this evening.
    Thanks,
    DPDan

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm going to be trying GPO for the first time in Logic/OS X so we can compare notes if you wish.

All My Best,

Frederick Russ
    Sanctus Angelis Online |

Hi Frederick,
    I have been using DP3 and installed DP4.12 last night. The install was virtually effortless.
    I have OSX 10.2
    I am now going to get the midi stuff going. I have the MOTU firewire audio interface up and running perfectly and then I went to install the software for my TC Electronic Powercore Firewire and it says,,,, "this software requires OSX 10.2.6 or later" ugghhhh!
    So now I have to get OSX 10.3.5 what a bunch o' crap aye? If it ain't
    one thing it's another. So everyone, will I have to reinstall the stuff I have on the hard drive if all I am doing is installing an updated operating system on the Mac G4?
    Thanks for your help all!
    DPDan

HOLY CRAP! I just called the Apple store and the guy says... "you don't have to buy the 10.3.5 update, you can just download the 10.2.8 update free from the Apple website."
    "Cool" I says
    I download it on my internet PC, copied it to a blank CD... popped it in the MAC G4 and bada bing bada boom, it's all done. I lost none of my apps and everything is just hunky dory!
    Now I am not taking a cheap shot at the PC folks because I have two, but this MAC stuff is so excellent. WOW!

HOLY CRAP! I just called the Apple store and the guy says... "you don't have to buy the 10.3.5 update, you can just download the 10.2.8 update free from the Apple website.
    Software Update works great, doesn't it? Every once in awhile just go up to your Apple menu and select it (2nd item) and it will check with Apple and give you the option to install any current updates that are available. In all fairness, Windows has the same feature but it sometimes barrages you with stuff you don't need.

You should launch Disk Utility (in /applications/utilities/) and run "Repair Persmissions" on your system volume every time you install new updates or other software. It can fix and also prevent various problems in OS X.

For future reference, you CAN install even an OS upgrade (ie, 10.3) without having to re-install anything. Just use the "Upgrade" option in the OS installer.

Let us know how the PowerCore FireWire works out for you...I have the UAD-1 card and love it, but I'm looking at the PowerCore as well.

Brian

Go Back to forum