• Register
  • Help

Topic: can I block program change?

Share/Bookmark

can I block program change?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My controller outputs program changes (patch changes) on channels 1 and 2. This is something I can\'t change (special program written for my wind controller, the guy who wrote it isn\'t around any more).

I like to have different instruments on channels 1 and 2. Again, this is due to the nature of my controller, which holds a note or chord on channel 1 (in response to a button press), and then continues playing (melody) on channel 2. If the instruments are different, it\'s very nice, and gives more variety to the texture of the music.

Is there a way i can block program change from occuring on channel 2 but allow it to occur on channel 1. Or is there some other workaround that could achieve my aim? Of course, not changing instruments at all would preserve my original assignment of different instruments on channels 1 and 2, but this limits my possibilities in a different way.
    Gabriel
    PS Forgive me for posting on both this forum and on the Nemesys site. Still, I have no way of knowing if everyone here is also following threads and vice versa, and this is a problem that\'s really holding me back.
    G

Re: can I block program change?

yes, but you have to do it from within your sequencer.

Donnie

Donnie,
    That\'s exactly my problem... I don\'t use a sequencer. I play live and the output from my woodwind controller goes directly into GigaStudio. Any ideas?
    Gabriel

Though I\'ve never used it, I think something like MIDI-OX would do the trick.

http://www.midiox.com/

Bill,
    That\'s an interesting thought. It would probably work. One problem. I _have_ used midi-ox in conjunction with Gigastudio, trying to figure out some problems I\'d been having with stuck notes etc. I think I noticed that I got some very weird effects (like zipping noises when I used continuous controllers) after doing certain things (such as sending an all notes off message to Giga to get it to shut up). I\'ve taken a different tack with the stuck notes problem though, so I think I\'ll see if I can do what I\'m trying to do with program numbers with Midi-Ox.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Gabriel

Here\'s another one to take a look at (I couldn\'t find this link yesterday):

http://www.yellowtools.com/index2_e.htm

Go Back to forum