• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Live Orchestral Demo Recording/Europe

Share/Bookmark

Live Orchestral Demo Recording/Europe

Hey guys -

I am kicking around the idea of a live orchestral recording to serve as a demo. I have a budget of about 5-7k, and am curious - are any of the "send us music, we send you audio" european orchestras working within a budget like this? For any amount of music?

Thanks,

Eric
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Eric Doggett
    MoonDog Media
    www.moondogmedia.net

Re: Live Orchestral Demo Recording/Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Doggett
    Hey guys -

I am kicking around the idea of a live orchestral recording to serve as a demo. I have a budget of about 5-7k, and am curious - are any of the "send us music, we send you audio" european orchestras working within a budget like this? For any amount of music?

Thanks,

Eric
    I heard once, orchestras like Prague, London, etc charged anywhere from $70K to $150K a day, including sound engineers. Am I way off base? Those of course, are world known orchestras.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Doggett
    Hey guys -

Thanks,

Eric
    Gary Garritan might have some advice for you there, he used an orchestra in Prague (I think) for an album or something.

Might honest feeling is to save your money though, your potential clients wont know the difference in most cases. That 5 - 7k could be invested in decent gear/samples to help pull off a convincing mockup.

Better yet - why not do a sampled orchestral mockup and bring in some live players for solo parts and thickening of the sound here and there?

You could stay within budget and not even have to leave the country to do it.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I suppose it depends on the size of orchestra you're talking about. In Britain, the costs can be pretty high but I think the London Philharmonic still do a decent package although you have to book them well in advance. A friend of mine was so frustrated at being frozen out of the contemporary music circuit in the UK that he fronted the cash to put on his oratorio. This is going back a while but the cost was well under 10k (pound-sterling).

I think places like Slovakia will be a far better bet than the richer European countries. They have some fantastic musicians there, are keen to raise their international profile and, thinking of the ones I've worked with from the Slovakian chamber orchestra, are very hard workers. I can't imagine their cost will be anywhere near as high.

Actually, I think Scott's idea is a very good one, regardless of what I've just said. Bringing in good soloists over the top of a sample orchestra is a winner to my mind, given your budget.
    Trev Parks

Go do a search on "symphonic workshops". Thats exactly what your looking for.

They have various option on East European orchestras.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Hudson
    I heard once, orchestras like Prague, London, etc charged anywhere from $70K to $150K a day, including sound engineers. Am I way off base? Those of course, are world known orchestras.
    Yes, way off base!!!!!!!!!!! The most expensive cost for a session musician in London is around £300, and this is for high budget movies. The commercial recording rates start at about £105/player. Studio costs can be high, but not much more than elsewhere. You do the math...!

Daryl

Eric,

Actually, yes. You may want to check out the Radio Slovak Orchestra, based in Bratislava, Slovakia. I used them for a score about the US Supreme Court several years ago (a PBS documentary that still airs many times a day in the Supreme Court).

I think the total cost for the entire orchestra and 4 hours of recording (including renting the VERY large hall with a fairly decent recording control room and great mics) was about 5k. They were not quite as good as the stuff I've done in London, but pretty good none the less.

You can contact them through Peter Breiner, who would be your conductor. Peter's web page is: http://www.interlog.com/~pbreiner/index.html

and I think his email is still fun@sympho.ca

Hope this helps.

John Keltonic
    JDK Music

Yes I agree with the soloists idea. Listen to how good buffys music sounded, it was not just good becuase of the programming, it was because the live soloists made you think the rest was more live that it actually was. Make sence?

Ed
    Me - Out of Context:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/_ed_/

Eric, I find myself running into this same dilemma. The theory is having my music performed live would give me a more impressive demo, and ultimately inspire producers to be more willing to front the money for a live group in the future. On the other hand I could buy that much needed gear, which could also help secure more work, and I would HAVE it, rather than dropping 5K for a one time thing. And that makes it tough to justify. Ultimately I have to ask myself: do you write the music to be played by people or by samples? Even LA musicians have special rates for demo/low budget recording. I think I'm going to have to take the plunge.

If you already have the sample libraries, computers, etc, then I'd recommend you consider doing a mock-up and spending the money with a proessional studio that can mix the recording for you on the best equipment.

Go Back to forum