• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and tango instruments?

Share/Bookmark

GPO and tango instruments?

I am an arranger for a local community symphony orchestra, and have been using Finale since it's initial version 1.0. I now upgrading to Finale 2005, and am considering to purchase GPO and install it in conjunction with this upgrade. It would be my first attemt at using sampled sounds.

However I also direct, play and arrange for a small TANGO orchestra (orquesta tipica) which plays Argentine Tango. The tipical argentine tango ensemble employs violins, piano, doublebass, and BANDONEON(s). However this essential instrument of tango, the bandoneon, not being a standard orchestral instrument, is of course not in the GPO's repertory of samples. So, I have two questions:

1. I've read that additional instruments are available from Garritan. Is it possible that bandoneon (or accordion) is one of them? If so, how to obtain?

2. Or, is it possible to have Finale address the GPO for all the standard orchestral instruments, but also use general MIDI or some other source for the bandoneon sound.??? (note: in GENERAL MIDI, the bandoneon sound is called "tango accordion", though an actual bandoneon is quite different from an accordion.) In any case, although the GM's bandoneon sound is not great, it's better than nothing -- I've been using it for 3 years.)

Thanks in advance very much for any replys/information on this, as it is crucial not only for my arrangements for our tango ensemble -- but also we are slated to do collaboration of the full symphony orchestra and the tango ensemble next year, for which I will be preparing full orchestral arrangements, for a "pops" concert that will combine the symphony with the tango orquesta tipica.

Thanks. Charles

Re: GPO and tango instruments?

Roland has a fairly decent bandoneon sound in their Sound Canvas Modules like the SC-88 or 8850. I've used the modules in conjunction with GPO many of times. I am not familiar with Finale.
    Styxx

Re: GPO and tango instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kelly
    ...The tipical argentine tango ensemble employs violins, piano, doublebass, and BANDONEON(s). However this essential instrument of tango, the bandoneon, not being a standard orchestral instrument, is of course not in the GPO's repertory of samples. So, I have two questions:

1. I've read that additional instruments are available from Garritan. Is it possible that bandoneon (or accordion) is one of them? If so, how to obtain?
    I made the same request (Bandoneon if not Accordion) a few months back and am hoping that it will show up in a future GPO add-on.

Maybe in the Jazz add-on Gary?

NDEE

Go Back to forum