• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 With both Desktop and Laptop?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 With both Desktop and Laptop?

My desktop is not on line. I am installing on the Laptop, in oprder to register.

Will there be a problem in using GS3 when I run it on my Desktop machine?

hv

Re: GS3 With both Desktop and Laptop?

I installed to my desktop but chose "register from another computer". It made a little register.html file which I copied by flash chip to my laptop. Then I used my laptop to go on-line and just clicked on the register.html file. Then it was just a matter of copying the activation code back to my desktop machine by saving the e-mail message to a text file. The e-mail message came right away. And once moved, I could copy and paste the whole activation sequence in one swoop. Took about 2 minutes for the whole thing.

Howard

If you are planning on running GS3 on your desktop, DO NOT install it on your laptop.

The GS3 license is for one computer only, and it uses a "challenge/response" authorization system that is tied to a single particular computer (it generates a code based on a profile of your computer).

As Howard mentioned, you should install the software on your desktop and use the "Offline Registration" process, which is detailed in the GS3 Manual starting on page 23.

I'm in trouble!! I can't find anything telling me that and I've already sent registration off from my Laptop!! I haven't got a response yet from Tascam.. Is there anyway out of this??? EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    I'm in trouble!! I can't find anything telling me that and I've already sent registration off from my Laptop!! I haven't got a response yet from Tascam.. Is there anyway out of this??? EJ
    I would suggest a call to Tascam Sales (I think they handle the authorizations). Just tell them to stop that registration.

DIRECT CONTACT INFORMATION

Technical Support
    or Registration
    (323) 727 -7617 phone
    (323) 727 - 7632 fax
    Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm
    U.S. Pacific Standard Time

Sales(323) 278-8584 phone
    Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm

General Information(323) 727-4864 phone
    (323) 727-7641 fax
    Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm

P.S. - there are two paper manuals that come with GS3, the "GS3 User's Manual" and the "GS3 Quick Start Guide". Look in the GS3 User's Manual, starting on page 13 "Preparing your Windows System...". Page 17 has the "Installing GS 3", pg. 20 has "Registering GS3", pg. 23 has "Offline registration". The manual is VERY detailed about installation and registration.

My problems were numerous. Not having DVD or Internet acess on my Desktop machine, not realizing that REgistration would be valid on one machine only( Sibelius, Sonor,etc allow you to use both with one registration)
    I had to use the laptop to acess the registration. In my confusion, I entered the serial number of GS2,as I believed that proof of previous ownership was necessary to valid the discounted price. Sorry I wasn't able to figure this out from reading the manual :-(

hv

Odd that the install didn't balk at the GS2 serial number. But maybe a luck break. You should be able to install to the desktop with the GS3 serial and register it offline. Guess copying the DVD to your desktop will be a challange. The easiest solution may be swapping out your desktop CDR for a DVDR drive... a $40 Dynex DVDR100 from Best Buy would probably do it.

You should also be able to evaluate the laptop install for a week till it expires. I'd be curious to know if that works for you. I have a Sony laptop but I'm undecided on whether to upgrade it's working GS2 installation.

Howard

Yes, It did balk at the G2 number I called Tascam, and through a horrible phone conection seems to have used the G2 number to install G3 on my laptop( A Sony by the way which seems to be working well) Tried to install on the desktop with the G3 number was a failure however. The serial number that is used as an upgrade has a C in it. While you can select a registration using a C ( which it allows you to do) Tascam bounces it back as wrong. After a great deal of searching I found a place tthat would take the C and then require you to give them the whole old serial number, and then the new number for G3 I fired this off and it hasn't bounced back yet, but I won't know until Monday how this will play out.

Someone waws kind enough to tell me that registering was explained in great detail, but perhaps not good enough for this poorly sharpened pencil...:-(

Go Back to forum