• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How much RAM recommended for GS3?

Share/Bookmark

How much RAM recommended for GS3?

I just ordered the GS3 Orchestra upgrade. I want to run the Black Grand. My P-IV 2.4 system has 1 GIG of RAM. Should I buy more RAM? I'm thinking of adding another GIG.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Re: How much RAM recommended for GS3?

From the GS3 Orchestra Box Cover:

Minimum System Requirements: 512MB RAM
    Recommended System Requirements: 1 GB RAM

From what I have read on other posts, any single program (including GIGA) can't use more than 1GB of RAM (and getting this level of usage requires a Windows "tweak").

Having said that, if you are running other programs along with GS3, they can use RAM also (no single app can use more than 1 GB).

OK. I will be running Cubase SX 2 at the same time.
    Melodialworks Music
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lougheed
    OK. I will be running Cubase SX 2 at the same time.
    get at least max. ram

2gb is a good amount. for cheap but good working ram i recomend kingston 1024 cl3 value ram. its not the fastest but worked for me on several (about 12 different) mainboards without problems. i had problems with mdt 1024 though.

So you are saying run 2 GIG since I will be using Cubase and Giga on the same system?

I do use Kingston RAM, but it is DDR400, so not all that cheap. It does say VALUE RAM on the packaging though.
    Melodialworks Music
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Visiondaw sells new GS 3.0 computers also with 4Gt ram! Don't know what's up with that...

Tapani

I thought I read on several occasions that after some revolutionary tweaking (what's his name again) you could install 2 Gigabyte: 1,5 for Gigastudio and 0.5 for OS. I also believe the VSL message boards have a thread concerning this topic.

------------
    Alex Cremers

It's quite simple actually. You have to open the windows reg editor, and search for "pagedpoolsize" and "nonpagedpoolsize". Set these to maximum hexadecimal values by entering as many F's as possible and you're able to load the maximum % of RAM in giga. My 1,5 Gb machine gets up to 93% now.

Under GS3, would I be correct in assuming that by doing windows XP registry tweaks this would enable more instruments to be loaded?
    I have 2GB ram in my dedicated GS3 machine, and would like to be able to load as many piano libraries as possible.
    Anyone care to explain how this is done?

My system..

P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.82)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/GS3)

thanks
    Mal

It was explained above in message #8. Simple enough if you are comfortable and experienced with making registry tweaks. If you're not, then get assistance from someone who is. (Back up your registry before making changes).
    Melodialworks Music
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Go Back to forum