• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 and # piano voices

GS3 and # piano voices

Will the GS3 Orchestra version actually improve the number of playable voices in a solo piano situation? I frequently go over 160, esp. with the pedal down. If I knew that Orchestra (unlimited polyphony) would in fact provide unlimited polyphony for, say, the Black Grand, I would check it out. Has anybody actually tried it? And with what processing speed, etc?

Re: GS3 and # piano voices

How do you go over 160 voices on a solo piano? A real piano only has 88 keys...I'm just curious.
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Oh, that's easy! Release triggers!

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    How do you go over 160 voices on a solo piano? A real piano only has 88 keys...I'm just curious.
    You must never have used gigastudio! It's easy even without the damper pedal -- and with it, trivial. Each note uses a 'voice' for the basic sound, a voice for the release, and who-knows-what for other things. The total voices reported by GS goes very high very fast.

To answer the original question: I just tried on my 1 gigabyte system, putting the pedal down and playing several handsfull of notes -- got up to 256 voices after about 15-20 chords -- so, its not unlimited but the limits are higher with GS3 orchestra, enough so I don't think you can hear the dropouts.

The maximum setting I normally use is 256, and configuring it that high takes away from the total number of instruments you can load (don't know exactly how the tradeoff works: for this test I had a set of instruments registering 50% of total memory used; changed the setting from my usual 180 to 256 and the usage went up to 52%).

Just tested also with a maximum of 350 and that worked too, in fact my test drive midi program only reached 326; memory used went up to 53%.

My processor is 2.8 GHz; don't think that's such an issue,though.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Hey John,

Yes, depending upon your processor, you can get pretty ridiculous polyphony with G3, and use just about every bit of it with a feisty piano romp!!

You will like GigaPulse very much, too. And I just received the G3 version of Black Grand, and it is nice, nice, nice. Right up your alley.

Thanks guys. That settles it. I'll be picking up GS3.

Go Back to forum