• Register
  • Help

Topic: Advice needed: Recording in 2 studios

Share/Bookmark

Advice needed: Recording in 2 studios

This question may or may not be on-topic in a GPO forum, but at least it is somewhat related.

Here is my scneario: I am doing a score that includes one pop song that will include vocals. My home studio is not set up for vocals as I do not have a vocal booth. I will rent use another studio for that. I will do the whole backing track in my studio with GPO and guitars and drums. The other studio does not have GPO, so I will mix everything down. I will bring everything back to my studio for the final mixing stage again. I use Sonar and they use Cubase.

Now here is the part I'd like some advice from the pros. Should I just mix everything down to a single stereo track wav file or should I mix it down to individual tracks for more control over the mix during recording?

Re: Advice needed: Recording in 2 studios

what ever you do: make shure you bring back the voice only tracks from the studio so you can do a final mix in your own studio...
    fmfgs

Oh, I see what you're asking. In my experience, a stereo guide track is fine, unless the singer is a really picky @%@$#... If it's convenient to go with multitracks, well it's always nice to have extra control but I wouldn't knock myself out for that type of tracking session.

BTW, you could always possibly rent or borrow a good mic and cut at home with headphones, if you can get your room quiet. Just record flat and set the sound when you're done. Don't know the situation at your studio, of course.

I've been in the same situation from time to time. I use a friends professional studio for the vocal tracks and bring in my instrument tracks for the session. The engineer prefers me to save everything as separate tracks. It definitely gives him better control of the mix during the session. Fortunately, we do the final mix at his studio using Sequoia. It is worth it to note here that I have recently turned him on to GPO as well. Now, we can play back each track with the instruments I used initially in my home studio.

Should I just mix everything down to a single stereo track wav file or should I mix it down to individual tracks for more control over the mix during recording?
    Yeah, I would save to separate tracks. You will have more control over the mix during recording.
    Just my experienced $0.02 worth.
    Styxx

Thanks for the replies.

So, it seems that there is the 2 schools of thought about this. I have to make up my mind quick as I hope to book the studio for next week Thursday or Friday.

Maybe I should just do both, i.e. mix all the tracks down for just-in-case on one CD and have another with a own stereo mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepheritoh
    Thanks for the replies.

So, it seems that there is the 2 schools of thought about this. I have to make up my mind quick as I hope to book the studio for next week Thursday or Friday.

Maybe I should just do both, i.e. mix all the tracks down for just-in-case on one CD and have another with a own stereo mix.
    Well, for me it's a hassle vs. benefit ratio. If you're going to go through the trouble of having the seperate tracks available in any case I would just do that- it's much more flexible.
    BUT WAIT- you know what? Things don't always work right, especially when a clock is ticking. A good boy scout would be prepared with those stereo tracks as a back up. So, you're right. Take both. CoverYourAppendages!

Yes time is not always on our side. I have 3 hours to do the job in the studio and I don't want to waste the first hour with fighting with the engineer.

I don't want to waste the first hour with fighting with the engineer.
    Dude, that's what the first (and last) hour is for!
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Yes time is not always on our side. I have 3 hours to do the job in the studio and I don't want to waste the first hour with fighting with the engineer.
    They have to use the time up somehow.

Go Back to forum