• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Forlorn Composer

Share/Bookmark

Forlorn Composer

Dear everyone,

I am an amateur composer in Hong Kong. I have had the good fortune to get involved with a company called 'Shakespeare for All' and I am am currently working as the Musical Director (for the second time) on a production of 'The Scottish Play'.

I am having a wonderful time writing and performing. However, Alas..... I have no one to discuss it with who wants to talk about reverb, counterpoint and the like... Help! (My friends think Sonar is a "Pook"ing sound that you hear on submarines.)

I recently started using GPO and I find it to be a vital resource for visualizing and performing for the stage.

There is so much I want to share with other like-minded people. Can anyone bear to hear about my trials and tribulations as a composer for the Bard?

Hopefully

Benjamin S Robinson.

Re: Forlorn Composer

Welcome to the forum!!

You will find that is exactly what we all love to talk about. Please tell us more. Share your experience and ask questions here. There are many proffesionals and other part-time composers and hobyist around. We all love GPO, orchestration and everything that goes with it.

Wow, so quick!!

Well first of all... How do I post compositions on this forum?

'Shakepeare for all' is the Brain-Child of a Professor of Hong Kong University professor who is so multi-talented that it would take me ages to tell you everthing about her. We take primary school students, give them a professional crew and put them on the biggest stage in Hong Kong to perform. Engilsh is their second language!!! It never ceases to amaze me how much kids can do when they are having fun.

With regards to me, I am an ex-drummer who moved to Hong Kong to follow the love of my life and accidentally got into teaching. Over the last year I have gone from Drummer-in-a-pub-band, to English teacher in the best school in Hong Kong!! Bl**dy lucky at the moment i'll say.

I look forward to being critisized by "youlot"

BTW I am an English teacher but my spillang is atroshious. sory.

Ben

Benjamin

Welcome to the forum!

Good to have someone experienced in musical theatre with us. The 'Shakepeare for All' production seems like an amazing project.

This is the perfect place to discuss all things musical - about theory, reverb, and "pookin" sonars. GPO is being in a number of theatrical productions and the other musical directors on this forum would appreciate your input as well.

We can certainly bear the slings and arrows of our Hong Kong friend.

Good to have you here

Gary Garritan

Hello Chiseen!
    First off let me extend a warm welcome to another new member from the great city of Hong Kong, Hong Kong!
    I have had the pleasure of working as a musical director for 13 years with a youth theatre production here in Western New York. I would love to talk score as well as all other aspects of musical theatre with you. There are others on this forum that have the same interests or are involved with musical theatre. I am sure you will find your stay here as comfortable and as enlightening as all of us do here.
    But, I must forewarn you. I am not a stable normal kind of guy. I love to play around and make light of seriousness sometimes in an effort to help the people around here stay calm. So, you were warned. I am a wild and crazy guy who happens to love people from all over the globe. Never take me serious when I joke. Laugh and have a light heart as I know you great people can have!
    Let's talk shop.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Chiseen
    Wow, so quick!!

Well first of all... How do I post compositions on this forum?

'Ben
    Compositions whether in audio format or in some kind of document need to be hosted on the web somewhere and you link to them. I could host the files for you on my web space if you'd like, whenever you have something you'd like to share. The offers on the table.

Dahhh! How stupid of me! A thousand pardons to all. I had Tokyo on my mind for some reason. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb, why am I so dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Oh, so freakin dumb, wa wa wa wa wa!
    Styxx

Hello again,

Thanks for your offer for web hosting Joseph !! How does it work? Do I send you an MP3? Or do I need a FTP?

Duh! Hong Kong is in California..... everyone knows that.

Chiseen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiseen
    Hello again,

Thanks for your offer for web hosting Joseph !! How does it work? Do I send you an MP3? Or do I need a FTP?

Duh! Hong Kong is in California..... everyone knows that.

Chiseen!!
    Feel free to email me the MP3 and I will send you a link to the file to post. Just click on my name next to this post to get my email address.

Joseph, I've sent you an MP3 thanks for your help.

Chiseen

Go Back to forum