• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The sound of my Old Lady

Share/Bookmark

The sound of my Old Lady

I just picked up PMI's Old Lady yesterday.
    I loved all the PMI demos, especially the 290, but there's
    something about the Old Lady that just got me.

They used an older Steinway for this one, 1923.
    It has a really cool sound. A different vibe from most others
    ive checked out.
    Its 24 bit. it has release noise, re-pedaling etc......
    I'm running it in Kontakt.

I suggest it if you've got your basic piano's covered, but could
    use somthing with a more vintage/nostalgic vibe. Only 199.00.

She's a winner.

Toddk

Re: The sound of my Old Lady

Yea! And the old gal will sure cut through a mix too! I got the Gold bundle (Emperor & Old Lady). Old lady is my "go-to" piano for jazz and rock. And the Emperor will cut through a big orchestra! Great libraries!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

You guys have me salivating in anticipation!

Brian - Good to hear someone has the package in hand. How long did it take you to recieve your GS3 Gold Bundle?

My wife "convinced me" that I didn't need to spring for the UPS. Boy am I regretting that decision! I ordered online 10 days ago and still no package. My emails over the last couple of days have been ignored by Michiel, so I was starting to get a little worried. I guess he assumes that I am used to this practice since I am a GigaStudio user .

Hi Mr. Frog! I am currently awating the GS3 version. I have the Kontakt version as of now (which I made a patch for which simulates piano mechanics and adds to Xavier's patch).

These pianos are already great as is. GS3 will only make them better!
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

How would you compare the two pianos to the 290 in terms of "realism," for want of a better term?

JG

HMMM, i dont know, i think they all sound plenty "real" and or
    "authentic" enough, by far.

At this point, its more a matter of picking a "Tone" or "sound" that
    works well with the style of music you're doing.

Some are great for Orchestra , but not so good for Pop music.

Some are great for Pop music, but not so great for Jazz.

Many times, a humoungous piano patch with all the sympathetic
    ringing, and pedal noise, sounds great solo, but just doesnt fit
    in a mix with other instruments.

So you'll find the more serious Piano Sample people, will have
    several different pianos. So they have the sound they need
    in any situation.

Toddk

Oh, I got plenty of piano samples, but my question wasn't all that clear. What I should have asked was how the Post trinity of samples compare in terms of the recorded result as solo instruments and as used in an ambient context. I have always liked the 290, but in its ambient guise the piano sounds a bit off in the distance, almost as if recorded in a cathedral. I like that kind of sound, but I was wondering whether the ambience of the Emperor and the Old Lady (heard as recorded, not as played live) was, sort of, less "cathedral-like." Somewhat ephemeral fleeting, hard-to-pin-down question, I realize.

JG

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the nice comments on our products! This makes my day.

The Old Lady and Emperor are recorded dry. Not extremely dry -like in an anechoic room which kills the real piano sound- , but you will find the difference with the Bos290 very apparent. Any ambience (when desired for a specific style or mix) on these piano should in fact come from GigaPulse or -if you use other platforms- from another convolution verb. That was the concept of these recording. And it works very well I might add.

The Old Lady sounds very intimate despite the fact that there is little or no room ambience that enhances the intimate feeling.
    The Old Lady has indeed a very special vibe (nostalgic and some call it romantic). An old lady ...
    The Emperor has different attitude, more robust, indeed like an emperor.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Well, the Post pianos are all quite good. I am really interested in the Steinway D of the Grandioso series. Problem is, unlike the Bosendorfer 290, they all require some additional software that I am not likely to buy at present. If a good version of the Steinway was available, I would probably be the first to buy it. Actually, even better, an older Baldwin grand would be my favorite. My own "real" piano is a Baldiwin, 1928, restrung & overhauled by me as my last major job before leaving the busines.

This is partly true. The extra software is the basic toolbox that many many thousand composers and musicians use on a daily base. If you only need one instrument this tool can be considered an extra expense. But when you look at it as the engine that makes it possible to load as many colours on your musical palette as you want it becomes the basis for your work. I agree with the previous posters that everybody who needs a piano sample for his music, must have at least 3 pianos. One clean piano: good for everything. One coloured dark for the moody and jazzy stuff and one coloured bright for the raw cutting power. Then you could add more for special situations (after all you don´t always want to throw in a majestic grand piano for each piano part).
    Regarding the extra software: When you go for GigaStudio3 today you get tons of features that no other software sampler can offer. The intergrated GigaPulse engine is likely the major breakthrough of the last years. It will take a while before the virtual instruments (that don´t need the extra engine) to offer the same kind of flexibility. If you want to avoid the extra software there are some `light` samplers that offer basic playback of Giga files but it must be said that they also lose a lot of the goodies doing so. You get what you pay for. V-Sampler (Sonar), Forte (giga-playback only software' and some others. At this moment the Giga3 software is THE platform for the Gold Bundle pianos. The other softsamplers all have limited feature sets - at least compared to Giga when piano sampling is the issue .
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum