• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Alternating Bowstrokes

Share/Bookmark

Alternating Bowstrokes

I am a little confused. The manual says: "For solo string instruments, pedal switching is used to simulate up and down bow strokes. Pedal up is bow stroke, pedal down is the other bow stroke."

What pedal is this? The sustain pedal is used for legato, correct?

Please clear this up for me. Thanks.

Jeffrey Naness

Re: Alternating Bowstrokes

In the version you have up and down bowstrokes are attainable by using the sustain pedal controller. This is the same controller used for legato. To use it for bowstrokes, do not enter continuous controller data. You would enter in sustain pedal information at the note that you want a different bowstroke for.

Note 1 = pedal down
    Note 2 = pedal up
    Note 3 = pedal down

The short bows patches automatically alternate, and the section strings are controlled the same way as the solo strings in the original version of GPO. This is all soon to change in the new update.

Hi Joseph, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes... that would hurt
    I think this part of your post is wrong... "The short bows patches automatically alternate, and the section strings are controlled the same way as the solo strings in the original version of GPO."

The current GPO version does not have any automatic alternating bowstrokes, either solo or section.
    The solo strings do have the ability to control up and down bowstrokes with the pedal.

The new update will have automatic alternating bowstrokes for many of the solo and sectional string sounds.

I hope that's correct anyway.

Maybe I am.

It's been such a long time since I used the original. The manual only talks about the alternating bow strokes in regards to the solo strings which are controllable with the sustain pedal. I'm not sure about alternating bow strokes with the section with the older version of the library. Maybe Tom can shed some light on this.

yea, the section strings have not had any type of alternating bowstroke abilities, according to the manual and the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    In the version you have up and down bowstrokes are attainable by using the sustain pedal controller. This is the same controller used for legato. To use it for bowstrokes, do not enter continuous controller data. You would enter in sustain pedal information at the note that you want a different bowstroke for.

Note 1 = pedal down
    Note 2 = pedal up
    Note 3 = pedal down

The short bows patches automatically alternate, and the section strings are controlled the same way as the solo strings in the original version of GPO. This is all soon to change in the new update.
    I guess I am a little unsophisticated on this point. Do I have to change a setting in my sequencer or somewhere else to switch my sustain pedal from continuous controller to (I guess) "on/off"? Once I do that, GPO senses it and changes (on solo strings) from legato mode control to bowstroke control?

On the other hand, if the update is coming out within the next couple of weeks, maybe I do not need to learn this (I just got my GPO this week!).

Jeffn1

Well, it will work that way automatically. If you want to switch bowstrokes you would enter no sustain pedal info (pedal up) for a downbow and a sustain pedal value of 127 for an up bow (or pedal down). This is confusing, I know. It probably explains it better in the manual. If you enter in continues sustain information over a series of notes the notes will legato. However, if you enter in specific sustain pedal data for each note, you'll get up and down bows. This is all going to change in the new version though.

Any estimated time of arrival for the update?

jeffn1

I would say that it is best measured in weeks, not months. That's the best I can give you.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Joseph, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes... that would hurt
    I think this part of your post is wrong... "The short bows patches automatically alternate, and the section strings are controlled the same way as the solo strings in the original version of GPO."

The current GPO version does not have any automatic alternating bowstrokes, either solo or section.
    The solo strings do have the ability to control up and down bowstrokes with the pedal.

The new update will have automatic alternating bowstrokes for many of the solo and sectional string sounds.

I hope that's correct anyway.
    Uhm - I may be wrong, but the section samples of short bows all are alternating automatically in the current offering. load the violin 1 short bows up and try it - every other note has the down bow stroke sounding attack, and the alternating ones are less prounounced in their attack.

At least, that is the way it sounds to me.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum