• Register
  • Help

Topic: How hungry is Gigapulse?

Share/Bookmark

How hungry is Gigapulse?

Hi all, I was wondering what sort of performance people are getting out of Gigapulse?

From what I've read it is not yet available as a stand-alone VST, but is anyone running more than one instance inside GS3?

Thanks.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Re: How hungry is Gigapulse?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hi all, I was wondering what sort of performance people are getting out of Gigapulse?

From what I've read it is not yet available as a stand-alone VST, but is anyone running more than one instance inside GS3?

Thanks.
    its a cpu pig! on my 2.4 i can get a about 6-7 single mic configurations.
    or abot 4/5 multi 's. as soon as the 3.2 drop too about $200 i am getting one.

On a P4, 2.4 GHz processor I get six instantiation of GPulse with the CPU meter peaking at about 50%.

i get a freeze from 55 - 70 percent

andyt

Very timely topic ...

First, I don't know which CPU meter to trust.

- when GigaPulse is loaded, the GS3 meter in the status bar flickers like crazy.
    - In Windows Task Manager, the process list shows barely any CPU usage for GS3 (even when stacked with many instances of GigaPulse)
    - The Windows Task Manager Performance graphic on the hand shows significant CPU usage.

(Now I know the Windows Task Manager is not very accurate, and I know the GS3 meter shows CPU usage for GS3 only.)

The one I am using currently to guage performance is the Windows Task Manager Performance graphics .... I can open about 5 instances of gigapulse, all with different impulse. But I feel awfully nervous at this point, and can't imagine ever using 5 at the same time ... since I feel a surge in processing demands from elsewhere could push it over the edge.

andyt

Does anyone know if the DSP PAN controls are pre or post the inserts slots.

I had an idea that I wanted to narrow the stereo field of some samples before they went into GigaPulse .... but they seemed to narrow the stereo field of the convoluted signal too.

I guessed they were like any conventional mixer and sit before the inserts ... but they seem to be after.

unless i am deaf they sound after at least when i tried it with gigapulse
    i guess you can insert a S1 thu i havn't tried it.

Thanks guys, thats very interesting. Im buying GS3 Orchestra soon and one of my main reasons for buying it, is Gigapulse.

Thanks again.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    Does anyone know if the DSP PAN controls are pre or post the inserts slots.

I had an idea that I wanted to narrow the stereo field of some samples before they went into GigaPulse .... but they seemed to narrow the stereo field of the convoluted signal too.

I guessed they were like any conventional mixer and sit before the inserts ... but they seem to be after.
    Just use an Aux Bus for the GigaPulse, and send your channel to it. That way, you can change the panning all you like.

On an analog console, actually, the pan should sit post-insert, pre-send...so this behavior is correct.

andyt

Oh thanks Bruce.

Each sound source in a Gigapulse multi can be a stereo signal source right ?
    Whereas the microphones are mono inputs ?

To be realistic however, shouldn't some instruments have their stereo profile reduced to mono.

e.g. an oboe is a mono source of sound. We only percieve it as stereo because we have two ears, and we hear reflections arriving at different times from the surroundings.

But Gigapulse is in effect going to model the multiple sound paths. So wouldn't it make sense to reduce the oboe to mono first, to prevent doubling up the stereo effect ?

I guess this does not apply to an ensemble which has a sound source over several meters.

But it would apply to a solo woodwind, brass or string instrument ? Make them mono first ?

Go Back to forum