• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: New GPO Update and Notation Software

Share/Bookmark

Question New GPO Update and Notation Software

Hi y'all,

Can anyone on the beta team for the new GPO update shed some light on how it will affect using it within notation software? I had heard something to the affect we will not have to deal with multiple staves for different articulations, etc. Is this true and are there any more cool things to make us notation dudes life easier?

Thanks.
    Gary Young

Question Re: New GPO Update and Notation Software

Sorry - BTW I am using Sibelius if this helps.

Thanks.
    Gary Young

Re: New GPO Update and Notation Software

Gary,

The newest update will allow for greater control from within on one stave from most notation software through the use of keyswitching.

However, I must feel that I should plug Overture SE at this point and say that by using Overture you already have this functionality without the need to wait (either through the use of expressions for bank changes or through the use of voices). Take a look at my tutorials for Overture SE and you'll see what I mean. I am due to do some more in fact, but the ones that are there should help you out as well. You can find my post with the tutorials buried in the General Discussion or Support thread.

Thanks a lot! Your tutorial is awesome!!! I paid all this money for Sibelius; do you think it is worth abandoning it for Overture

Thanks again.
    Gary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Gary,

The newest update will allow for greater control from within on one stave from most notation software through the use of keyswitching.

However, I must feel that I should plug Overture SE at this point and say that by using Overture you already have this functionality without the need to wait (either through the use of expressions for bank changes or through the use of voices). Take a look at my tutorials for Overture SE and you'll see what I mean. I am due to do some more in fact, but the ones that are there should help you out as well. You can find my post with the tutorials buried in the General Discussion or Support thread.

Do you think I should upgrade to the fulll version of Overture and abandon Sibelius? My only concern is the stability of Geniesoft as a corporation and support. Anybody have any opinions on this?

Thanks Joseph.
    Gary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Young
    Hi y'all,

Can anyone on the beta team for the new GPO update shed some light on how it will affect using it within notation software? I had heard something to the affect we will not have to deal with multiple staves for different articulations, etc. Is this true and are there any more cool things to make us notation dudes life easier?
    Thanks.
    Gary, the combination of full Overture and GPO promises to be even better after the new version of each appears.
    After 15+ years of using Finale, I have just about entirely switched to full Overture for most of my projects. Overture does about 99.34% of what Finale does, and does it more easily. I would consider myself a "power user" of Finale.

If you work mostly in notation, as I do, Ove and GPO will play very nicely together.

The claim that Finale 2005 is tailored to GPO is true to some extent, but Overture is still easier to match up to GPO. In my limited Sibelius experience, I would say that it's the least able to interface efficiently and easily with GPO.

PS--as it is now, you do not have to resort to additional staves for different articulations when using Overture. Expressions can be defined to switch GPO instruments on the same staff. Feel free to ask if you don't know how to do that. I'm not sure of JB has gotten around to that in his superb tutorial set. Or I can send you a small score I have with that exact artic. change (arco/pizz strings)
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Young
    Do you think I should upgrade to the fulll version of Overture and abandon Sibelius? My only concern is the stability of Geniesoft as a corporation and support. Anybody have any opinions on this?

Thanks Joseph.
    Gary, Don W. is the most responsive programmer I have ever dealt with. The record time between a receiving small bug report and getting the fix on the website for download is a half hour!! Several of us are very active on the Ove Yahoo group. I assure you that our reports and requests are honored to the extent that they are possible, logical, and feasible. Many people here on the GPO board, I bet, would report the same thing.

Can you imagine the Finns doing that? Or the Eden Prairie crowd? They have let bugs of long standing languish while giving users a rhyming dictionary in an upgrade.

As I intimated earlier, Overture 4 is not far away, either.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I would not worry about the future of Overture as Don has been in the business a long time and has some great backing with the industry. There are some changes talked about for version 4 that will take it far and above the competitors in terms of using notation software with sound software be it GPO, Kontakt, Gigastudio, or various and sundry other VST's. I would not feel awry by ditching it all in favor of Overture, but I've got some inside info so I'd naturally feel more comfortable. If you have any concerns about functionality loss, feel free to contact Jim, I, or Don for more information about Overture before making the leap.

Just throwing my 2 cents in here. My principal reason in staying with Finale is compatibility. Everyone I work for uses Finale, we need to be able to exchange files without problem. If your files are strictly for your personal use, then Overture is your best bet for compatibility with GPO. If you need to exchange files frequently with clients, stay with their program or have them switch to Overture too.

Jeff

Jeff, this also won't be an issue soon. At least that's what I've heard.

Go Back to forum