• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: how much to ask to compose a song for a company ?

Share/Bookmark

how much to ask to compose a song for a company ?

hey all, my friend are going to ask me to compose a song ( 2-3mins ), how much should I ask to compose this song for them ? Thanks.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: how much to ask to compose a song for a company ?

Work for hire? What's the end-use? Is there a back end?
    If it's an outright buyout, and the company is going to use it extensively, you want to get a premium.

This is complicated stuff. If you fill in some details of what's involved, and what the likely uses of the music are, then it will be easier to help.

I think they are going to use it as "company song" forever, and I think I just use plain piano solo on that, so nothing more complex instrument involved, how much should I charge them ? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lkthomas
    I think they are going to use it as "company song" forever, and I think I just use plain piano solo on that, so nothing more complex instrument involved, how much should I charge them ? Thanks.

How big is the company (Fortune 500?; local/national/international market?; Usage on TV, radio, web, industrials?). Gotta know this type of stuff to really give an informed answer. in addition, you should address Bruces's inquiries point-by-point as well. Back-end income allows you to be more flexible with pricing if that is an issue.

I composed for Verizon in 2001. 30 second audio track with sound design for splash page and radio spot. They hold the rights. Bill to them was $2,500.00.

Sound Design work on 60 second radio spot for MBNA Bank of America = $1,500.00

The bigger the company the more you shoud charge, IMO!

DELAWARE has it's advantages.
    Delaware is the corporate capital! Many banks and pharmaceutical companies.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

1000Stuff in China, 20Stuff in Hong Kong, and it is not showing Ads on TV/Radio, how much should I charge by ?
    should I charge more if the client request for orchestra rather than piano solo ? ( the song is on piano solo now )
    it's around 2-3mins long, hmmm
    Thanks for the comment, this is my first time to charge people for music.

no one reply ?

Several people have already asked you for more specific details regarding the job, but you don't sound like you even know what the details are.

You need to get yourself an agent or entertainment lawyer to handle the negotiation unless you don't mind potentially short changing yourself, because you sound way in over your head.
    -Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by lkthomas
    no one reply ?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Answer the questions I asked you, and I'll try to advise you.

If you don't understand what I am asking, just get the conversation started with as much information as you have.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that you are asking for a simple answer to a very complicated question. Depending upon the circumstances, you might need to charge anywhere from $3000 to $30,000. Depending upon the back end, that gets adjusted. Depending upon who retains rights, and what sort of broadcast potential is there, that gets adjusted.

What Hudson is saying may be right. If you are not understanding any of these questions we're asking, you NEED an entertainment attorney to cut this deal for you. Otherwise, you are going to screw yourself.

Tell them 900-1000$ for 1 minute .

The important thing is that it's your first job and you will get good credit for doing it .

In the future you can say "I made a theme for that company" which is important. Don't stress too much over cash
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum