• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rme User About To Install Gs3 But....

Share/Bookmark

Rme User About To Install Gs3 But....

....I have a few questions :

I have to say I am a little worried about installing at this particular time because I am a composer in the middle of production. A choked system will not go over well with the people giving me my deadlines.
    But... finally having received my little wooden box, it would be a shame to let it sit there while I work with version 2.5....

- Of the RME users out there, is anyone successfully using their HDSP card
    (I have the 96/32) notwithstanding the midi port problem? It is my understanding from reading past posts that if I don't use the midi port on the RME card itself (and use my MOTU micro lite instead) I should not have a problem with this card. Is this true? I am using GS on a dedicated computer seperate from my Cubase computer.
    - Now that all my samples are GIG 2.0 files, will they have to be converted to GIG 3.0 files? My immediate concern with this is that if I have some type of problem with the installation, will I have to re-load all of my libraries on to my hard drive to go back to GIG 2.0 files? (I am just looking at worst case senario, I'm not paranoid).
    - What is HT technology and why do I care if I disable it?
    - Is there anything else I need to do to prepare before installing other than Gigaclean?
    I have total confidence in the level of expertise in this forum.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Steve

Re: Rme User About To Install Gs3 But....

Hi Steve,

In the middle of production? Then here is the best approach: Buy a new system hard drive. Remove the old one. Install the new one with WinXP, the latest drivers, GS3, and possibly your sequencer. If it works, you're set. If, after bashing your head for too long, it doesn't, re-install your old hard drive. The new Windows installation will ask you to re-authenticate within 60-days. Don't worry about it for now, as you may go back to your old system drive.

- The Gig 2.0 files do not need to be converted.

- HT is Hyperthreading. It's on the newer Intel CPUs. It's sort of a fake dual processor setup. If your machine is primarily for Giga, then you don't care if you turn it off.

- If you go to a new hard drive initially, you won't need GigaClean. And you will leave your old 2.5 setup intact, just incase you need to roll back. The main things to prepare are to download all of the latest drivers and to get the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

The main advantage to your current production will be the ability to use GigaPulse in your mix. Eventually, GS3 will be faster for you, as you will be able to load more instruments and get more poly. But GS3 will not speed up your current project, because the setup time, playing with it, making new templates and such will eat more time than you will get back. If the deadline seems tight, stick with 2.5. If you feel that GigaPulse will really enhance the production value, and you have a day or so to burn, give GS3 a try on a new hard drive.

Best of luck!

-JF

I am a composer in the middle of production. A choked system will not go over well with the people giving me my deadlines
    This is not the time to experiment ....

I also would stick with your current system ...! If giga 2.5 will get the job done then keep with it until you're done with your current project.

best of luck!

Yves

Thanks alot Jon,
    Still waiting for a repsonse to my RME question......

Have you checked RME newsgroup site?

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/info/newsgrp.htm

Good Luck

Koray Ustuner

Quote Originally Posted by korayus
    Have you checked RME newsgroup site?

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/info/newsgrp.htm

Good Luck

Koray Ustuner
    Have a look here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24377

Good Luck

Dave

yes Dave did a brilliant job :-)))

http://www.soundsonics.net/Midisolut.doc

Go Back to forum