• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Can the mind of ignorance be changed?

Share/Bookmark

Can the mind of ignorance be changed?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    For those of us who know better and who can see what is going on in this country, it is frusterating and enraging that both the propoganda-led ignorant and the religious fundamentalists have such power. As a result, not only our country, but the world is rapidly devolving into crisis upon crisis from which there could, eventually, be no return.

A fellow I know told me recently that maybe my problem is that I was too informed and that if I just vote for Bush I could relax because he's taking care of everything. This person has an 8th grade education and is semi-illiterate.
    He has, of course, the same one vote to cast that I do.

His aptitiude and thus attitude represents million of people in this country and it really scares me. For the life of me I have not been able to stratagise an approach to this guy: as little as he knows, he thinks he knows it all.

We're all like that to one degree or another but the arrogance of both the ignorant and the religiously self-righteous leaves little or no room for anything which contradicts their beliefs.

This feature of the human mind has been here as long as we have. Now though, this particular pathology is at the root of problems global in nature.

I often feel hopeless about all this. I know we all do. We present fact after fact and when that doesn't work, we call the adversary names and hope to shame them in to seeing things differently.

It's not working, though, and I dont know what will.

Jim

Re: Can the mind of ignorance be changed?

You can't beat ignorance, there's too much of it. You're out numbered like millions to one.

One cannot enlighten. One can only become enlightened.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Too bad the strive for intelligence is nill, whilst the strive for ignorance is rampant like some kind of viral infection.

We have been ranting about Bush here for 3 years. Have we done any good? Probably not. Or maybe we've planted a few seeds of thought for the future? Who knows? People defend their politician like it's their brother (on both sides). And no one has conceded anything on either side. It's like a debate club, instead of reality. Comparing Bush's military service to Kerry's leaves us with only one logical conclusion. That Kerry's service was more admirable. Kerry served, Bush hid out in the rich boys club. That's fine and I don't really care, but to say that Kerry is a fake and Bush served admirably is insane, and is the brainchild of Karl Rove. To hear Republicans taking this view is a sure sign that there is absolutely no hope. We've never been so divided in recent times. Electing Kerry will only be the first step in a long road to recovery, and it still probably won't happen until disaster strikes. (world famine, ecological disaster, nuclear war etc...) If Bush gets re-elected and the draft is re-instated, I think Republicans should be the first to go to war. You support it, you do it.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Two words: Poll tests. Limit voting to IQs above 120.

Kerry would win if the minimum were 80 - and that's educable mentally retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Two words: Poll tests. Limit voting to IQs above 120.
    This whole thread is pure leftist elitism. The "intellectual" left thinking they know what's best for the rest of us... Give it a rest. I have news for all of you: Stupid people have just as many rights as all you geniuses. And don't assume that everyone who disagrees with you must be ignorant. That, in itself, is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by glennm01
    This whole thread is pure leftist elitism. The "intellectual" left thinking they know what's best for the rest of us... Give it a rest. I have news for all of you: Stupid people have just as many rights as all you geniuses. And don't assume that everyone who disagrees with you must be ignorant. That, in itself, is ignorant.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that those who oppose our POV are all ignorant, although there is certainly a large amount of it.

No, besides ignorance, there's greed, callousness, selfishness, self-righteousness and an insatiable need for power at work among Bush supporters. The true elite currently occupy the White House and anyone who supports them may not be ignorant, but they certainly fill out the lower third of humanity.

That excrement about leftist intellectual elitism is beyond moronic. And it's low class - not in a caste sense, but in the sense of not having any class.

I feel - and I get the sense Bruce feels - that anyone who votes for Bush is either stupid or not using their brains, knowing what we know about how dangerous and stupid his policies are. That's not elitism, it's reality.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast