• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fun with nutty chord progressions

Share/Bookmark

Fun with nutty chord progressions

For those of you who find it fun to analyze harmonies that are a little off the beaten track, here's a bite-size clip taken from something I'm working on:

The "Dumpster" Scene - 0.9 MB

I'll send a free Red Wire CD to the person with the best reasonable (or most interesting) analysis. Why? I don't know. I gotta get rid of 'em somehow!

Use traditional harmony analysis, or whatever suits your taste. And watch out for the penultimate chord at 0:43... it's a doozy!

- Jamie
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Fun with nutty chord progressions

Jamie,

I like it, but somehow it doesn't invoke the "dumpster" feeling in me. Maybe I just don't "get" it.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Oh! I want to try! I would love a CD of your music! Here's my analysis:

I think I'm missing a few details here, but the piano stays for the most part in the same key: Db. The sustaining violin is holding the major 3rd in the tonic chord which helps result in some beautiful clusters. The horns move in a downward motion with occaisional chromaticism which clashes in the serenest possible way. From what I can tell by listening, progressions are I, V, vi, iv, I6, i/I, a...something...missed it, a kind of iv with some sustaining tones - probably the most dissonant chord? The violin moves from the fifth to the second to sustain the tonic in the upper register, as the harmony returns to I - Cello entrance with open 5th in the horns, V, IV, iv, I6, i6, iv7/IV, I. My ear training is so rusty. I have to admit to using a piano for help (equivalent to a life-line in this case?)

This cue is so delicate like a bubble that floats over grass, and you just know it's going to pop, but it doesn't. Has an "unanswered-ness" about it... I love it!

jmc,

Not bad -- just a few subtle things out of place. And yes, it's ok to use the piano. There are a couple of elements for which there's no "right" way to analyze, and reverting to plain English is a good choice.

By the way, I loved the bubble-floating-over-grass metaphor. Maybe that should count for a good abstract analysis!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Thumbs up Re: Fun with nutty chord progressions

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    For those of you who find it fun to analyze harmonies that are a little off the beaten track, here's a bite-size clip taken from something I'm working on:

The "Dumpster" Scene - 0.9 MB

I'll send a free Red Wire CD to the person with the best reasonable (or most interesting) analysis. Why? I don't know. I gotta get rid of 'em somehow!

Use traditional harmony analysis, or whatever suits your taste. And watch out for the penultimate chord at 0:43... it's a doozy!

- Jamie
    I've had to deal with a dumpster once and hope never to again. But, that's another story.
    This piece conjures up memories of scuba diving in the great lakes. Not much happening or interesting down there and the darkness plays on you. Much like the ascending descending structure of your piece.
    I like it. Very much I like it.
    Styxx

For the curious, the piece is named after the scene for which it was written. The scene is named for the fact that there is a dumpster in it. The dumpster has nothing whatsoever to do with the plot, but it does make the file easy to find... "oh yeah... the scene with the dumpster in it" instead of "which scene with Mike and Kevin talking?"

jmc, thanks for the analysis. I'll contact you throuh pm for the prize CD, if you want it.

- Jamie
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum