• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Should Gigastudio 3 use copy protection?

Share/Bookmark

Should Gigastudio 3 use copy protection?

This topic has been discussed long time ago, but now with Gigastudio 3 now finally out. I was wondering if people thought Tascam should now move into the copy protection realm so that developers return?

Is it a good idea or is it too late or should Giga remain an open system regardless?

I am not advocating any side here. I just think it's a very interesting discussion for developers, users and the future of sampling.

Re: Should Gigastudio 3 use copy protection?

I believe that the issue of developers returning is a bit moot now. You see, people look for solutions when they have a problem, not when they don't.

Developer's problem was piracy, they solicited Tascam's help, Tascam opted not to go down that path (partially at the very vocal uproar from end users), and developers found another solution. If Tascam would all of a sudden decide to implement copy protection into GS3, that would not necessarily bring the developers back since they have already found a solution to their issues and have no real need to switch.

The only thing that will bring developers back to the GS3 platform is if there is a big chunk of the market share there. I really don't know what the figures are concerning registered user numbers with GS3.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

This is one of those topics that has been done to death, a painful bloody death, 100 times over. Let's talk about daisies for a change. Aren't they pretty? Me likey pretty things...
    -Hudson

I am buying ALL of the new GS3 libraries, and lack of copy protection on the sample libraries is part of the reason I support the Giga platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    I am buying ALL of the new GS3 libraries, and lack of copy protection on the sample libraries is part of the reason I support the Giga platform.
    Exactly.
    While I definitely understand the need for copy protection as a deterrent, working with tools that are more flexible and allow backing up your data is a more professional environment (IMHO). If Giga 3 really takes off, I am sure that developers will jump on it. And this might have the desirable effect of negating the current trend towards “locked box” libraries. (at least until an unobtrusive protection scheme can be found)
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

While I definitely understand the need for copy protection as a deterrent, working with tools that are more flexible and allow backing up your data is a more professional environment (IMHO). If Giga 3 really takes off, I am sure that developers will jump on it. And this might have the desirable effect of negating the current trend towards “locked box” libraries. (at least until an unobtrusive protection scheme can be found)

Actually it's funny you say that. I swear about a year ago I was saying the very same thing, and if you do a search on my posts you might actually find a very similar wording coming from me.

Now, call me a flip flopper, but I have found that after using those copy protected tools, none of my general needs have been reduced. I can back up my data quite easily, and change and save my programs the way I always have done on other, unprotected platforms. I am of course talking about the Native Instruments based libraries. I find those to be quite good at letting me change the things that I need to change. It seems to me that many that denounce self-contained libraries have not actually used them.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Lightbulb Re: Should Gigastudio 3 use copy protection?

I agree on the NI based libraries (using Kontakt), and feel the same way about HALion3's new format. I'm able to drill into "protected" pieces of content and edit away and save the new fxb and fxp files at will. Since I have my library and media drives on a scheduled, automated backup, I don't have to worry about ensuring that my work is preserved - as it's protected as well as any other asset in my virtual studio with Dantz Retrospect.

The "uproar" about copy protection on this board was much ado about nothing - and amounted to a really, really bad case of "wag the dog". Between that and the long, long, long time that GS3 took in getting to market, they've lost an incredible amount of marketshare on both the supply and demand side of the equation. Bravo to NI for capitalizing on the opportunity, with honorable mention to HALion for coming late to the party.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

andyt

I fear many developers will shy away from GS3 becuase of the lack of CP. In my worst scenrios I fear the base will just continue to erode.

I think Tascam should have implemented OPTIONAL copy protection. If library developers wanted it, they could have set some some flag that would have implemented it.

Developers could have sold two versions of their libraries: Copy Protected versions throughthe mass retail outlets. For professionals who want to be able to tweak at the lowest levels ... they could sell special un-protected versions, I dunno, water marked at a special prioce to reflect the openess and extra process to watermark.

(Whether COPY PROTECTION works or not, is self-evidently debatable: we debate it. BUT that some developers want the reality / perception of it is a FACT.)

There are also libraries that are just targetted at pro-sumers of course ... who want an integrated player just to simplify things for the customer.

Is there anything to stop Tascam doing the same as NI. Offering a slimmed down version of GigaStudio similar to Kompakt, and tied to a specific library and only that library?

I think TASCAM should be addressing romplers as a strategic challenge, and do need to formulate some sort of respone ... not just ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    The "uproar" about copy protection on this board was much ado about nothing - and amounted to a really, really bad case of "wag the dog"
    It would be interesting to see how people's view of copy protected sample libraries might change if some of these companies went out of business, or if a new "next generation sampler" is developed.

I understand that companies such as NI would release some type of "general authorization tool" if they ever went bankrupt, but one would still be forced to use those sample libraries within that sampler.

I assume most people who are now using Kontakt or Halion probably had some "good" sample libraries in GIGA format which they imported into these other samplers. If GIGA wasn't an open sample library format, that couldn't have been possible.

Hey,

As sampling has improved with bigger and even more natural sounding instruments have been released we have unfortunately seen products - both commercial and "free" that have used our samples to create their products.

Further more bandwidt and internet speed becomes faster each day and...moral is going the opposite direction in company with the economic crisis.

So I welcome all protection now - including dongles which I have learned to live with and are practical when re-installing..

I don't think un-protected sample libraries will have a future for pro-companies.

I personally - as a user - regret this development, but as a producer I really don't see any other way than to protect our work.

From ALL sources I hear the same speech that companies increases their sales dramatically with protection. It's not bogus - believe me.
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Go Back to forum