• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture comprehensive Manual and GPO Studio

Share/Bookmark

Overture comprehensive Manual and GPO Studio

Hi Kevin and Joseph..

I have installed the OVT... SE and managed to import my Sib..MIDI file into OVT.

I was wondering if there is a comprehensive manual I can down load to fast track my knowledge of OVT to help me swim through some great short cuts and loading of Instruments ect.....(Time management question and to help take the mystery oyt of this program)

The GPO manual does not give a lot away interms of the programs features and operating manual. Can any one assist there.. I will sus out the OVT page/link on the GPO site aswell.

I have also emailed support at overture about my request. Yes, this is a little challenging (out of my comfort zone AGAIN!!!) but I do hear and see what you mean.

Unfortunatly, all my instruments are coming through as flutes! Augh...I have 12 instruments in total and have loaded them all manually in the GPO studio.

Anyway, its hard going into a progam blindly, sure if I had time (but I don't) but I can speed read a manual (If I could access one)

Any thoughts there?

Cheers...

Re: Overture comprehensive Manual and GPO Studio

You could try the Overture 3 manual available on Geniesoft's site. SE is a cut down version of it, but there are some differences (mainly in the limited functionality of SE.) Also, you need to open up Overture's Tracks Window to assign outputs to Studio. If you don't do that they default to the first midi channel or whatever is loaded into GPO, slot 1.

http://www.geniesoft.com

Also, while you're there, downloaded the latest patch for Overture SE. A link to the file is located on the index page of the website. The manual itself is in the downloads section.

For some reason Joseph is being very shy and is not pointing you towards his most excellent step-by-step Overture tutorials, which can be found over in Tips & Tutorials. Start with his voices tutorial and you'll be along much faster than trying to use the mediocre/poor GPO and Overture SE documentation.

I have not been able to find much information on the difference b/w Overture SE and the full version of Overture. Could someone summarize the differences.

The Overture SE version included in
    Personal Orchestra has the following limitations:
    No lyrics
    No tablature
    No customization of engraver settings or libraries
    No font substitution like Jazz Font
    No Chord, Guitar, or Jazz symbols
    One score open at a time
    Each score is limited to 32 tracks

Lightbulb Re: Overture comprehensive Manual and GPO Studio

JB, I am officially slapping you with a trout!

Amanda, there is no better way to get started quickly than JB's tutuorials. Now that that is out of the way, keep in mind if you run into any problems we (meaning JB mostly ) will provide help as quickly as possible.

Did you resolve your flutes issue? JB's tutorial will sort you out on this.

One last thought (this post has been random as it is, so what the heck)

(JB, correct me if you think I am off base here, your far more experienced than me...)

First thing I would do once you have your instruments lined up is to play through the piece and make sure the basics are solid. In other words, that the half notes are half notes, the rests are rests, etc. Once you know that the music part is correct, then go back and start tweaking. JB's tutorial on the graphical window will be invaluable. It took me just over an hour to go through it. The graphic window looks scary, but it is not in the least. It will help you make your song more musical.

JB helped me out with two issues that I will point out to you. You may not have them, I am just attempting a bit of (unasked for, granted) preventive medicine.

1) Fermatas - I have found that the ratio for fermatas is not accurate. In other words, if you set a fermata for 30 it should hold for 3 seconds. However, I have found it does not. If you find the same, solo a track, adjust the fermata a good amount and then play it back either from the beginning of the piece or 2 measures before the fermata. (Don't start in the same measure as the fermata or you might not hear the change.) If the fermata is not working at all, it is probably not `hooked' to your note (or rest) correctly. I have the best success by grabbing the little line that connects the fermata to a note and then move it so it connects to the next note. I then slowly move it back until it jumps back to the note I want to hold and then release the mouse. (This also applies to hairpins, dynamic settings, etc.)

2) Pause after a Fermata - If you want the music to pause after a fermata is released and you don't want to use a rest, then do the following:

1) Click on the note that is being held
    2) Change to graphical mode, you will notice the note clicked on is red
    3) Because the note has a fermata, you can change the length of the note in graphical mode to get a break between the held note and the next note that will be played. It will not change the way the notation looks on the staff. Why does this work? As far as I can tell, the fermata ignores the length of a note, it overrides it and plays the note for whatever duration you gave the fermata. However, once the hold is done, Overture keeps playing the Midi music *in a linear fashion*. So, if your note is short, there will be a break between it and the next note that is played. If the note is long, the next note will be played right after it. (The graphical window shows this perfectly.) The trick is to shorten the note being held to a length that gives you the amount of pause you want. You'll just have to experiment to get the right length. To change the length of a note, just click on the little pencil icon, then place your cursor over the right end of the note. It will change into a double headed arrow. You can then click and drag the note length. I am probably making this sound more complex than it is, you'll find it very easy to work with.

So, now that I have given a huge amount of unsolicited advice, I'll shut up.

JB is the one who demonstrated these techniques to me and they have been a tremendous help. Since most folks use fermatas, I thought I would share.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Great solution to the pause after the fermata problem, Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    1) Fermatas - I have found that the ratio for fermatas is not accurate. In other words, if you set a fermata for 30 it should hold for 3 seconds. However, I have found it does not. If you find the same, solo a track, adjust the fermata a good amount and then play it back either from the beginning of the piece or 2 measures before the fermata. (Don't start in the same measure as the fermata or you might not hear the change.) If the fermata is not working at all, it is probably not `hooked' to your note (or rest) correctly. I have the best success by grabbing the little line that connects the fermata to a note and then move it so it connects to the next note. I then slowly move it back until it jumps back to the note I want to hold and then release the mouse. (This also applies to hairpins, dynamic settings, etc.)
    -Kevin
    Kevin,
    One thing I think I've discovered is that the use of a drawn-in tempo map in the graphic window wreaks havoc with fermatas. If you have drawn in a tempo map, the behavior of the fermatas will be unpredictable.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Exclamation Re: Overture comprehensive Manual and GPO Studio

Ugh. That is bad news, Jim. Thanks for pointing it out. Does the same occur if you use the rit and accel features? I'll experiment also, but figured I'd take the easy route first.

One more thought...
    I wonder if this issue would be resolved if fermatas were placed in the piece after all tempo changes have been made. Any ideas?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Amanda, where ya at? I'm just getting concerned. I hope this silence is a good sign that things are working smoothly in Overture. Let me know how you are making out.

Go Back to forum