• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Strange Rewire behaviour-Can you test?

Share/Bookmark

Strange Rewire behaviour-Can you test?

Hi All

Rewire, is a great functionality to have when using Gigastudio with a Sequencer and in fact I was very exited to test this functionality.

I have observed some issues with running Cubase SX 2 with Rewire, and have found that I am not the only one with this issue. I just looked at a few posts, and am taking the posts that relate to my experience with Rewire, so that we can test it and see if our experiences are similar.

Some have reported that Rewire causes glitches or weird small burst artifacts when the Rewire has been Exported in Audio via Cubase Sx2. I have come across the same problem.

Here are some quotes: from current users that have these issues:

NT wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by nt
    Help! I'm experiencing several problems exporting material. I'm using Cubase SX 2 rewired to Giga3.

I loaded up the vsl flute sus and everything plays/sounds right within cubase sx. I then go to export it with File/Export/Audio Mixdown and suddenly the file exports with some problems. First as soon as it finishes exporting it makes an unpleasant sound burst like it's only rendering the last note. It has never done this before with rewire (I use reason and sx rewire also).

The resulting wav file renders the full project, but only renders with each of the first milliseconds of each note sounding then cutting off immediately.

Below is a link to the resulting file
    Export MP3

I read the manual and it looks like I've been doing things properly. I've been using Reason with Cubase rewired for quite some time now. So it's not like I'm new to this. Haven't had a problem with that combination yet. I could have overlooked something though.

.....I did try the Real Time export function and there's still a lot of audio problems. Notes getting cut off and wierd clicks and pops.

Here is a mp3 of the Real Time export result.
    RealTime Export Test

At this point, I'm stumped. Thanks for any help.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Later Worra also aknowledged this issue:
    Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Yep, I'm getting this too...
    Bruce Richardson Wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Yes, folks, try this and speak up please!! The developers need to know the scoop on this, for sure. I had no access to their bug database as a tester, but I cannot imagine that Cubase in and of itself is a ReWire problem, since so many people use it. Hopefully there's something very simple at work here, which can be resolved.

My observations thus far:
    I also set up Gigastudio 3 for Rewire, and when in Cubase Sx2, I have a midi file and activated Rewire. I can hear everything. It seems very stable and I have sound coming from Gigastudio 3.

1. My sample rate is all 24bit ( Double checked this in Cubase SX2, Gigastudio 3, and my RME DSP settings.

All other material, including Midi exports to Audio without issues. I also can take a 24 bit audio file and export it as an MP3 using the UV22HR dithering.

When I export a Rewire with Gigastudio, I have tried the Methods described in the manual:

1)Make sure ASIO is deactivated in Background and use Realtime Export function.

After the realtime export I get the same results as Worra and NT within Cubase SX2. Worra and NT it is not your Echo cards I believe because I am using an RME HDSP 9632 for audio.

So the problem seems to lie with the Signal from Giga 3>REwire /Output.

Here are my results in mp 3 format, so that you can listen to these artifacts and little bursts that both Worra and NT have experienced and described when Exporting Audio in Real time within Cubase SX2.

Mp3 Example:

http://www.soundsonics.net/Rewiretest.mp3

Notice these small bursts or glitches, one almost at the very beginning (at 03 seconds and then closer in the middle towards the end (around 14 seconds), and then very close to the end of the mp3 (around 18 seconds)

This was audible in the wave file before the Mp3 was created.

If there are any other users who can test this and please post results here.
    What were your results?

Regards

Dave

Re: Strange Rewire behaviour-Can you test?

Thank you for confirming this! So it's not a soundcard issue then, it looks like.

One question. How do you set your Giga settings to 24 bit? In File/System Settings/Hardware, I can only select 32bit depth. However I set my Cubase project settings at 24 bit...

Considering Reason works via rewire to SX, I can only conclude it's a GigaStudio 3 issue.

One other question to ask, is anyone using Sonar/other sequencers Rewired to Giga export working?

Thank you for confirming this! So it's not a soundcard issue then, it looks like.

One question. How do you set your Giga settings to 24 bit? In File/System Settings/Hardware, I can only select 32bit depth. However I set my Cubase project settings at 24 bit...

Considering Reason works via rewire to SX, I can only conclude it's a GigaStudio 3 issue.

One other question to ask, is anyone using Sonar/other sequencers Rewired to Giga export working?
    Thanks for responding NT.

Update:

So far this is working here and I did 4 tests with the same outcome. I increased my buffer size to 1024 (23ms) in the RME DSP, and did 4 different tests. It seems to have fixed my problem.

Listen here is an example with my buffer size very low at 128 (3ms).

http://www.soundsonics.net/Rewiretest-03.mp3

Notice the artifacts-Sounds like samples are stolen/glitches. Very evident at around (3-4 seconds) then (6-7 seconds) then (11-12 seconds) then (15-18 seconds) then (23-27 seconds) and so on.

So I guess when using Giga as Rewire you can have the lower buffer, unless you start to hear these sample stealing once you insert more gigapulses and add more Samples. Then when youre ready to export increase the buffer size.

Please can anyone else test this by increasing their buffer size, especially those who have had these porblems with Cubase SX2 and please report back. Worra, NT? I would appreciate it.

So far this has solved the issue for me.

Good Luck

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dalamein
    Now I made no changes except increase the Sample Buffer all the way up to 1024 (23ms) and even 2048 (46ms) and this is what happened to the exact file on Realtime Export:
    Thanks for working on this issue. Where can I change my sample buffer settings so I can test this? Is this a cubase setting or in gigastudio or my gsif settings in my soundcard? Right now my soundcard's console settings is set at 256 samples. Do I need to change it here and in cubase as well?

Thanks for working on this issue. Where can I change my sample buffer settings so I can test this? Is this a cubase setting or in gigastudio or my gsif settings in my soundcard? Right now my soundcard's console settings is set at 256 samples. Do I need to change it here and in cubase as well?

Youre welcome. When you open the ASIO panel in Cubase SX it links to the actual DSP panel that your soundcard uses. Therefore yes, the actual source for changing the sample buffer size is on your Audio card. Please test and see if this resolves it. The above example used 2 instances of Gigapulse.

Dave

My Testing round #2

Cubase SX2 - Giga 3 - AMD Athlon Processor - Echo Gina 24/96

I upped my buffer sizes, normally work in 256 samples with the prior tests.

In 512/1024 samples offline rendering was still as before - ie every note being messed up.

In 512/1024/2048 realtime rendering was improved over the 256 setting. However there were still many problems, notes being eaten, audio issues, crackling, popping. Offline rendering at 2048 produced only silence.

1024 samples realtime rendering - MP3

2048 samples realtime rendering - MP3

Still not useable by any means on my side...

My Testing round #2

Cubase SX2 - Giga 3 - AMD Athlon Processor - Echo Gina 24/96

I upped my buffer sizes, normally work in 256 samples with the prior tests.

In 512/1024 samples offline rendering was still as before - ie every note being messed up.

In 512/1024/2048 realtime rendering was improved over the 256 setting. However there were still many problems, notes being eaten, audio issues, crackling, popping. Offline rendering at 2048 produced only silence.

1024 samples realtime rendering - MP3

2048 samples realtime rendering - MP3

Still not useable by any means on my side...

NTThanks for your test, so we can thus see that increasing the buffer had no real effect on your system. So this sample buffer is not the issue.

Make sure that you do not have any Hardware such as Audio outputs Selected withiin Giga 3's hardware section or any Midi for that matter. Do you have ASIO in Backgound Disabled?

Anyone else with ideas or Worra can you test your results within Cubase Sx2?

Thanks

Dave

I am using Nuendo 2.0 with GS3. I am not able to record audio files via Rewire. I have followed the guidlines of Nuendo and GS. I keep getting blank files. I can hear the Piano during playback. Does anyone have any ideas that I can try or perhaps you can point out what I am missing.

Is your buffer high?

I got silence when...
    Offline rendering at 2048 produced only silence.

I'm having the same problem with Sonar 3 Producer. An Echo Darla and GS3 in rewire mode. The workaround for me is to uncheck the "fastbounce" option in the render to audio page. Then the mixdown takes as long as it takes to play the song in real time. But when I do it this way, I get a perfect mixdown. I'd prefer the high speed mixdown. Hope someone figures out the problem.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast