• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS160, Sonar 2, Delta 1010

Share/Bookmark

GS160, Sonar 2, Delta 1010

I am having issues. I don\'t believe I had this when I was still with CW9.x and Gsampler64 but maybe I am just dumb, or forgot... :-)

Can someone explain what the function is and how the \"Midi In\" ports work with Sonar? Cause I don\'t understand. When I am in Sonar, don\'t I choose the GS port for assigning seq playback? When I choose the \"Midi In\" port, I get activity on the correct port in GS but no sound. When I select the GS port I it plays. Confused.

I am having midi issues when I play back tracks in Sonar using GS160 samples. .. 2 GS samples, simple piano and a pluck string instrument. Simple midi track. Stuck notes, wrong notes, tempo slow down. More on that once I make sure I understand how I should have this configured. I might be causing the error.

So maybe I just don\'t have the system set up correctly?? Need you guys help cause i am all out of patience and coffee!!

(I am on win98SE, One system...)
    If you need the detail of my system configuration I will provide it. I just didn\'t want to muddy the waters just yet.

Re: GS160, Sonar 2, Delta 1010

The MIDI IN ports in Sonar are used for a keyboard or some device that is transmitting a midi signal so that you can record midi. You should not need them at all for using Gigastudio. The MIDI OUT ports send the signal to Giga. You should have 4 midi out ports for Giga showing in the list you get when you assign the midi out port.

To get the full benefit of Sonar, you really need to upgrade to W2K or XP.

What speed is your machine, and how much memory? I run Sonar and Giga on one machine using an Athlon 950 with 768 megs of ram and 3 hard drives, and it works great.

-- Martin

Originally posted by mschiff:
    The MIDI IN ports in Sonar are used for a keyboard or some device that is transmitting a midi signal so that you can record midi. You should not need them at all for using Gigastudio. The MIDI OUT ports send the signal to Giga. You should have 4 midi out ports for Giga showing in the list you get when you assign the midi out port.

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I understood the MIDI In/Out ports in Sonar, it was the \"Assignments\" in Giga Midi Ins? I do have 4 midi out ports for Giga showing up in my Sonar list. I was just confused \"why\" in the Giga you had to assign Midi Ins and how it worked with the ports you assign in Sonar. As you said, in Sonar you select the Giga Port Out to play.

Originally posted by mschiff:

What speed is your machine, and how much memory? I run Sonar and Giga on one machine using an Athlon 950 with 768 megs of ram and 3 hard drives, and it works great.

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mine is not working great! I have been reading threads about having to have a dedicated PC for Giga. I am experiencing slowed or stalled playback with high Giga polyphony.

Setting the Giga polyphony voices down to 104 seemed to help. Otherwise I would get slowed or stalled playback etc. VERY frustrating!! Made me very surly all day yesterday!! It was a simple 2 track seq. (Sonar 2) playing a giga piano and duplicate part for a plucked string patch (Sustain pedal down). The meter got as high as 136 notes played so I didn\'t even get close to 160. I was able to finally play it once I moved the voiced count to 104. Would running 2000 Pro help?

The stalling/slowed playback was only with Giga samples. As I added other tracks via external sound modules those tracks did not have issues combined with the 2 giga tracks. Giga would just choke, sputter, slow down...

I have also done all the TASCAM suggested optimizing to my system. In CMOS disabled audio device, parallel port, serial ports. Swap file is at 512mb on the C: drive. At boot up I am at 95%, disabled all not needed using msconfig.

I am running the following. Suggestions?

Profiling the system ... (I edited the file.)
    ********************* GigaStudio Diagnostics v2.52.06 ***********************************

====================================== System Info ====================================
    Memory: 512 Mbytes
    1 - CPU: 733 MHz, Intel Pentium III M8 (CPU ID 683)
    Drives:
    A:\\ - DRIVE_REMOVABLE
    C:\\ - DRIVE_FIXED - 15 GB IDE 7200 RPM Seagate ST315320 A (o/s,appplications)
    D:\\ - DRIVE_FIXED - 18GB SCSI 10K RPM Seagate ST318404LW (Giga Instruments)
    E:\\ - DRIVE_FIXED - 18GB SCSI 10K RPM Seagate ST318404LW (Audio)
    F:\\ - DRIVE_CDROM - Plextor CD-ROM PX40TW
    G:\\ - DRIVE_CDROM - Plextor CD-R PX-W124TS (24/4/32)

Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    C:\\ running UDMA 66mhz
    Adaptec 29160 Ultra PCS SCSI Controller
    LVD/se D:\\, E:\\ (Ultra160) transfer rate @ 160mb/sec
    non-LVD F:\\ (40mb/sec), G:\\ (20mb/sec)

MOBO
    -Intel D815EEA
    -BUS 133MHz
    Network
    - Intel Pro/100 VE (integrated)
    Video
    - Intel 82815 Graphics Controller (integrated, AGP) Driver v 4.13.01.3004

Audio/Midi
    M Audio Delta-1010
    Midiman USB MidiSport 4x4

DirectX version 8.1

WaveOut devices (5):
    Device 0 - WavOut 1/2 Delta-1010
    Device 1 - WavOut 3/4 Delta-1010
    Device 2 - WavOut 5/6 Delta-1010
    Device 3 - WavOut 7/8 Delta-1010
    Device 4 - WavOut S/PDIF Delta-1010

MidiOut devices (9):
    Device 0 - Out-A USB MidiSport 4x4
    Device 1 - Out-B USB MidiSport 4x4
    Device 2 - Out-C USB MidiSport 4x4
    Device 3 - Out-D USB MidiSport 4x4
    Device 4 - Midi Out Delta-1010
    Device 5 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 1
    Device 6 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 2
    Device 7 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 3
    Device 8 - NemeSys MidiOut: Port 4

Gknudson,

The nemesys midi outs represent each of the four sets of 16 channels that gstudio will support
    if your only using 16 channels you only need to map them to midiout port 1 or 2... dont worry about using definition files to identify the seperate channels as they all work in normal gm mode by default.

I also use sonar and gigastudio but i only use 16 channels in giga (I dont seem to need more than 16 channels most of the time.)

So at the moment my sonar outs go to other items like samplers and synths.

You might want to treat audio and midi as two seperate items as they will be using different ways out of the system.

As long as you have assigned a single midi in for use in sonar then you should be able to control all of the outs with the same controller.

so:

The usb outs will go to any \"additional\" devices or outboard hardware...

the nemesys outs are just for gigastudio to give you a visual representation of gigastudio in your sequencer.

if you want any help setting up ins files (Instrument definition) files let me know.

sorry to add a bit more...

the way i see it is that sonar can only see through its midi ports.....so for it to use a device on the system it needs to assign it a midi controller. normally you have one basic midi device in windows (MPU - 401)...but you have added more by using the MIdiman controller so sonar now has more ways of communicating with other devices....

because giga is on the same machine it created its own \"virtual\" ports for sonar to use because it cant use the \"hardware\" ports of the midiman.

So many virtual midi devices create a simulated port to use so the sequencer doesnt get confused when it trys to send data to a device it thinks is outside the machine..

bit like a seperate midi pipe just for gigastudio
    that only goes to and from gigastudio.

i really hope this doesnt seem patronising if it does a really do appologise but if this is information your haveing problems with pls let me know..

many thanks

Riggs:

Not patronizing at all. Very glad to find someone using both GS160 and Sonar. I already understood some of what you had mentioned, but I was totally confused about why you had to assign Midi IN ports in GS settings tab when I was already accessing through \'virtual\' ports vs \"hardware\' ports in Sonar. I thought that what was happening.. thanks you for clear information.

As for the setting up ins files I would like to hear how you are doing that with GS.

On to another question. Are you running both on the same PC? Issues? What kind of setup do you have?

Gknudson,

I use sonar on the same machine with gigastudio,i use two keyboards for control. A small evolution keyboard to test out samples in GS, and an XP 30 as the main controller.

You asked about setting up a controller in gigastudio. I had a problem if i set the master keyboard as the midi in for giga because windows wont let you use the same device twice unless you have multi - client drivers.

As i do everything in sonar (Midi) i dont really need a controller set up in giga as sonar controls it directly using its midi in. (Also using a midiman controller....2X2)

The system is windows ME running on a Duron 1 gig
    with 512mb system ram and a couple of 41 gig IBM deskstar ide drives

The sound card is about to be replaced with a delta card...prob a 66 but is currently a SW1000 yamaha card.

I dont have any latency issues. but then i dont really push the system as i dont often fill up gigastudio.

The only issues i have are windows stack errors because i normally run too many programs at the same time. But other than that its quite stable.

The machine is constantly on so giga and sonar are always running. (too much work)

As for the ins files i just copied the gm defaults and remapped them to gigastudio and various other gear.. its makes it a bit better when im using a lot of midi channels. But to be honest IMO you dont need to specify them...as long as you know what the channels are assigned to, you wont have a problem.

Its similar to sound fonts... i find that if i want to create a gig file with files im using and dont have the time to map them out in the GS editor. I use Vienna soundfont studio for the sblive to map the wav files to standard midi channels and then import the soundfont into the GS editor wizard which then does a better job of converting them to giga format files.

i hope some of this is usefull to you.

Thanks. It really was helpful. I am using your information. I will keep you posted how things go.

Go Back to forum