• Register
  • Help

Topic: How does anyone get any work done???

Share/Bookmark

How does anyone get any work done???

Ok I hate to beat this horse AGAIN but this patch change thing just is NOT workign at all. Midi has been around for over 20 years so I can\'t understand what the problem is.
    I am controlling my giga PC\'s with my mac. I send out program changes from the Mac and I get mixed results. Some channels work ok while others just don\'t work at all.
    For example; I have one channel where on mea. 1 it sends a program change to program \"7\" but every time it calls up program \"11\". I can detach the instrument from the channel load just program \"7\" into that channel and it STILL pulls up program \"11\".
    Again, I hate to gripe but this HAS to get fixed. How does anyone doing large orchestration\'s do any work?
    I wish the programmers for giga were musicians. I think that would solve a lot of these weird things!

Re: How does anyone get any work done???

I second your request. I have completely given up working with program changes.

Originally posted by composer22:
    Whoa there padre, Donnie:

Are you sending the bank # as well?

Have all patches been edited into distinct and seperate banks and patch numbers, rather than relying on GIga to assign these nmbers?

This is the only way I am getting it to work.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Composer,

It should work they way it is susposed to work. You load instruments in giga; identify the program number, and assign them from there in your sequwncer. Why should it work any differenty?

Donnie

well, im not sure what you mean Donnie.

Lets take the old way I used to patch change w/ my 2080, where I\'d send it 0/32 command with a bank AND a patch number..eg 128 patch limitation per bank. every sound in my 2080 has a unique bank/patch number.

The only difference here is that Mr. Giga is auto assigning bank/patch numbers on the fly if you dont explicitely set this up ahead. This seems like a BAD idea anyway, in case you decided to add a new patch down the road into your piece...if you let giga assign ANYTHING it will screw up the bank/patch #\'s in a recalc, and your sequencer or score app needs to be re-tweaked for bank/patch number changes.

ssoooo, my advice is to set these up ahead of time. I allocated ranges of Banks/patches for particular instrument libraries, edit them and also assign unique bank/patch numbers as I need new sounds to my pieces. This way the old ones aren\'t screwed up, giga isn\'t a dependency. I have banks reserved ahead of time to make life easier...

I could also swear it cut down on crash possibilities...

And it conforms to standards like any of my HW synths - unique bank/patches across the board.

only problem is I needed to redo my performance files because giga cant do anything right.

Should the calculation work in giga? NO! I wish they would throw the damned thing out, and let us edit bank/patch assignments in GIGA, instead of individual GIG files. I\'d also appreciate if they would allow us to export performance/bank numbers into some standards - like CUBASE insrument files so we can use it in our sequencers easier...

But to make it work, sending a BANK/PATCH is the only way to make it happen. Giving a house address is not enuf...you need to know the town if you know what I mean...

Whoa there padre, Donnie:

Are you sending the bank # as well?

Have all patches been edited into distinct and seperate banks and patch numbers, rather than relying on GIga to assign these nmbers?

This is the only way I am getting it to work.

Go Back to forum