• Register
  • Help

Topic: A good all around Giga Synth

Share/Bookmark

A good all around Giga Synth

I am interested in adding electronic sounds to my library but I'd prefer to stick with something that can be imported into Gigastudio. I don't want a hardware synth module and I'd prefer not to add anymore software to my current system (as my only computer has many applications on it and I've only recently gotten everything to work and play well). Is there a Giga disc that contains sounds like the Roland 2080 or JV1010 or something comparable? Something with a large group of synth instruments but on the Giga platform? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Re: A good all around Giga Synth

The problem with synth 'samples' for Gigastudio, is that you have little to no control. Usually you are just stuck with that one sound, which is contradictary to the essence of a synthesizer.

I recommend NI's Absynth.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I'd go for actual synthesis as well. Sampled synthesis is never great. A synth or two is not going to wreck your system.

I'd recommend the synth route as well. There's a huge number out there, some better than others. Here's a few of decent ones:

rgc:Audio's z3ta+. Currently "on sale" through a K-v-R group buy (yes this was a shameless plug to get the price down!). Seriously, I auditioned a bunch of soft synths last week, and this easily on my top-3 list, not just because of the sale deal. CPU usage is decent, lots of synthesis options.

Camel Audio's Camelon5000. This puppy can generate some nice sounds, and has some neat features. CPU usage also reasonable. I went for the z3ta+ because I felt the Cameleon5000 really excels at pads and "soundscapes", whereas I'm looking for a bunch of different synthesis options.

Maxx Claster's eJ. Decent 6 op FM synth with a simple interface for very little money. Some nice presets, and easy enough to make your own.

Download demos, check them out.

- Keith

If you're trying to replace an 'all rounder' rompler like the 2080, consider Hypersonic as well. I have some minor quality issues with it, but there's no question that Wizoo are emulating the JV1080 approach in software - even down to the optional 'upgrade' modules. It's also light on CPU compared to other offerings.

Linplug's Albino 2 is very nice.

Novation V-Station is very squishy-warm analogue sounding.

RGC audio's Pentagon 1 is still top quality for bread and butter analogue style synthesis.

Get the free PolyIblit (do a search).

As for romplers, theres the fairly new Luxonix Ravity which has got very good reviews.

Thanks for all of the input. I guess I'll brave it and add one more bit of software to my system and go for the separate synth program. You've given me a lot to explore. My thanks to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TEMPS
    Thanks for all of the input. I guess I'll brave it and add one more bit of software to my system and go for the separate synth program. You've given me a lot to explore. My thanks to everyone.
    The downside is that you'll consume a lot more CPU (relatively speaking) with a synth compared to samples. The upside to the synth far outweighs that extra CPU, IMO, especially if you're running decent hardware. The synths out there are very mature, and should give you options far into the future.

Oh yeah, be sure to check out Spectrasonics as well... Good luck.

- Keith

Go Back to forum