• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale Questions

Share/Bookmark

Finale Questions

What exactly is CC#? and how do I manipulate it?

Re: Finale Questions

cc is control change number, it is used to control parameters within
    the midi spec like volume, modulation, etc as part of the general midi spec

Quote Originally Posted by chilcote.9
    cc is control change number, it is used to control parameters within
    the midi spec like volume, modulation, etc as part of the general midi spec
    ok cool, so what do volume, modulation, etc. mean and how do i actually change them?

Look basically, I'm doing this short movie score in Finale with GPO. Everything sounds awesome, but I need to be able to control the attack of the piano notes and the overall dynamics and cresc/decresc ; I do not have an external midi controller, so how would I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by onegin
    Look basically, I'm doing this short movie score in Finale with GPO. Everything sounds awesome, but I need to be able to control the attack of the piano notes and the overall dynamics and cresc/decresc ; I do not have an external midi controller, so how would I do that?

To some extent the answer depends on which version of Finale you are using. In the latest version (2005), you'll probably want to make use of Human Playback to some extent.

Finale has several means for controlling MIDI data. The most obvious is the MIDI Tool (turn on the Advanced Tools palette in the Window menu to find this tool). With this tool, you highlight a section of notes, go to the MIDI Tool menu, specify what you want to edit and choose how you want to edit it. You can make good use of the Add and Alter Feel commands as well as the Scale command (usually for making crescendos and decrescendos).

What I can't tell you is exactly which controllers/MIDI data you need to choose. This is somewhat unique to GPO, and someone here who actually owns the product will be able to tell you more (as can the GPO documentation).

Finale also allows you to edit MIDI data via Articulations and Expressions. One particularly cool way to use Articulations for this purpose is in conjunction with the Smart Find and Paint feature. You can assign your articulations (designed to alter duration and key velocity) to a single rhythmic figure, and then apply the same set of articulations and slurs to all parts of the score with the same rhythmic motive.

Quote Originally Posted by onegin
    Finale is a good soft for editing music, not to play it as well. I work on finale 2001, so I don't know what's new in the latest version. I you want to change something while playing your music, chose "playback options", you'll pearhaps be able to change volume etc.
    Overture works better than finale for this (and I think it's easier in many way to use)
    The best way to have real musical effets, is to save your files as midi files, and open in softs like dp4, logic, cubase.... You may sometimes spend a lot of time, but I think, it's the best way to control your music playback

For the types of MIDI editing I like to do, Finale is faster than other offerings. It just has some features that the other programs you mention lack (many of which have been introduced after Finale 2001).

ok so I'm kinda getting it now, and I agree with whoever said that Finale is better than Overture for this kind of stuff. I tried Overture and found it cumbersome in general, but that might be because I have been using Finale for so long. Ok, that being said, I've really only used Finale for notation before so many of these playback things are a little vague to me. If I say, wanted to have a crescendo, what exactly would I do with the MIDI tool to create one?

In addition, it seems I can only edit the Key Velocities, and not the Continuous Data, does anyone know why this is?

Oh wait, I think I just figured out my problem (or one of them)... you can't apply Modulation to a Piano synth, since the note has to have more attack to be louder on Piano (key velocity).

I'm not sure how GPO fits into this (and I'm just about ready to purchase it after hearing that Nimrod Enigma Variation - very good job!), but in Finale, when using the MIDI Tool, the tool affects whatever you have checked in the MIDI Tool menu. The first three choices in that menu are Key Velocities, Note Durations, and Continuous Data. Whichever one you have checked is the one the commands in the lower part of the menu are going to affect.

Creating a crescendo, you first decide whether you're going to be altering volume, key velocity, or mod wheel and check this option at the top of the menu. Then you highlight the passage in question with the MidiTool and choose Scale from the MidiTool menu.

Alternatively, if you're using Finale 2005, HP can interpret your graphical hairpins. You could use it as a starting point and then make modifications with the MidiTool to enhance the parts that need it.

Go Back to forum