• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking For Norah Jones Style Piano

Share/Bookmark

Looking For Norah Jones Style Piano

I was wondering if some piano veterans could give me advice on a sample library that is similar to the style of the Norah Jones "style". I realize this is a vague question, but I figured someone would know what piano she uses. In her compositions, the piano has a very soft intimate sound. In some songs I hear a lot of dry room ambience which I like.
    Is there a sample library made less for orchestral\classical compositions and more for jazz\folk\country songwriters.
    I'm not a piano player, but I appreciate piano tones that please the ears.
    Thanks In Advance
    Travis

Re: Looking For Norah Jones Style Piano

Art Vista (the same company that brought us the Malmsjo Acoustic Grand) is coming out with their Steinway B piano. It's very mellow much like the 1923 New York Steinway B Norah Jones uses. Kind of dark, but extremely rich and very wide in terms of timbre.

Listen for yourself. Hans has demos here...

< http://www.artvista.net/Mp3's/192%20Kbit/ >

BTW, I don't work or have any affiliation with Art Vista or any other sample producer, but am really excited about this particular piano library. I'm also looking for the Norah Jones, Jackson Browne sound. This is the closest thing I've heard to it!

--

SampleTekk's White Grand with your keyboard's velocity curve set to "Hard" has about the same kind of warmish mid frequencies. It's the closest (closer than Art Vista, IMO) thing to Norah Jones' sound that I've ever heard. There's a two octave (plus every C) instrument demo you can download.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Smile Re: Looking For Norah Jones Style Piano

I would recommend the Black Grand as it seems to be more suitable for the style you´re looking for. I also own and like the White Grand but it is definitely brighter and aimed more for the pop/rock section (though you can change the velocity response of your keyboard and leave off the crisp ff-samples).

ArtVista´s Steinway seems to be a good option too but there wasn´t any info for some time about the availability. So currently the BG seems to be the best choice for the typical Steinway sound. Watch out for the addictive factor and don´t plan to sleep too much during the first nights as you will find yourself playing piano instead .

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Out of all the pianos I've actually played, I'd say the Black Grand is closest to that Norah Jones sound at present (first album, more so than second). The close perspective would be most applicable. Can't comment from experience on the Art Vista Steinway, but that's certainly in the general pocket. I'd agree that the White Grand probably isn't that sound, at least not right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I'd agree that the White Grand probably isn't that sound, at least not right out of the box.
    But it is that sound, right out of the box, especially when compared with track 11 from her first album. The Black Grand simply can't produce the strong midrange frequencies (1500 - 2000 Hz). I'm telling you, the White does it dead on! Remember, I have the vel. curve of my ES8 set to "norm" or "hard". "Soft" (meaning you hit 127 effortless) wouldn't do, it makes the brighter upper velocities active and then the resemblance ends.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Yes, Black or White, that's the question.... Luckily you can download 2 octave demos from www.sampletekk.com and try it out for yourself.
    I know that PMI offers the same from their site. Then you can try it out yourself! Probably the best way.
    Also, if you want, you can send me a MIDI file, and I'll render a mp3, but that's not really hte same thing as playing the piano yourself.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    But it is that sound, right out of the box, especially when compared with track 11 from her first album. The Black Grand simply can't produce the strong midrange frequencies (1500 - 2000 Hz). I'm telling you, the White does it dead on! Remember, I have the vel. curve of my ES8 set to "norm" or "hard". "Soft" (meaning you hit 127 effortless) wouldn't do, it makes the brighter upper velocities active and then the resemblance ends.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    I know what you mean, but instead of setting the vel. curve to "Soft" try loading the 6th .gsp file (the first brighter one), and set your keyboard to "norm".
    Last edited by nano; 09-16-2004 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Yes, Black or White, that's the question....
    As Michael JAckson woulda sang: "If your thinkin' bein' my piano it dont matter if your black or white... wooohh!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by nano
    I know what you mean, but instead of setting the vel. curve to "Soft" try loading the 6th .gsp file (the first brighter one), and set your keyboard to "norm".
    Of course, that's probably even better. It sure would be much safer.

Go Back to forum