• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio and ProTools 002 or Sonar

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio and ProTools 002 or Sonar

I am trying to decide whether I should get the ProTools 002 to go with my GigaStudio, or to get a new Audio Interface and upgrade to Sonar 4. I know that everyone is going to say ProTools is better, but how much? My biggest issue is with routing the MIDI, meaning that I would like to get a lot a channels to play at the same time, without much hassle. Any suggestions?

Re: GigaStudio and ProTools 002 or Sonar

I don't know if "everyone" would say that Pro Tools LE is better. I assume you mean Pro Tools LE on the PC, since you mention Digi 002 and Sonar (Digi 002 is ProTools hardware which runs the ProTools LE software).

Others can comment, but from what I read most people still consider Pro Tools to be very "audio centric" and lacking in midi support when compared to other sequencers.

Also if I am not mistaken ProTools does not have native VST support. I thought Pro Tools users had to use the fxPansion VST to RTAS converter.

Thanks for the feedback. I posted this same question on the VSL board, and have gotten a similar response. I think I'll probably stick with Sonar for the sequencing, and then may add Pro Tools at a later date.

Thumbs up Re: GigaStudio and ProTools 002 or Sonar

If you absolutely must leave SONAR, forget "SloTools".

Go SAMPLITUDE 8. The MIDI has improved immensely, the native tools are awesome, and the audio is still great ....

It isn't necessarily about leaving Sonar. I want to buy a new audio interface, and upgrade my sequencer, so I preodered Sonar 4 Producer Edition, and have been debating about the interface, then I thought that maybe ProTools would solve all my problems. Sounds like that isn't the case. Right now I'm leaning toward getting the new Layla3G from Echo to go with Sonar 4 and GS3. Thanks for your feedback; I will check that out.

I've been using a DELTA 1010 for the last five years. No problem between that and SONAR. It's only GISF 1 at the moment. The ECHO "gals" all are .... Layla, Darla, Gina, Mia.

What interface are you working with?

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    It's only GISF 1 at the moment. The ECHO "gals" all are .... Layla, Darla, Gina, Mia.

What interface are you working with?
    OOps! I didn't say that right. I meant the ECHO cards are all supporting the GISF 2 protocol.

Pro Tools has certain authorization procedures that involve Pace/I-lok. Those are worse than viruses.
    I was a litte concerned copying all my G3 installation DVD to the hard drive when I seen I-Lok files being copied. These are for those Antares plugins. I keep everything that involves PACE of my system.

Go Back to forum