• Register
  • Help

Topic: Double bass note range not played

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Double bass note range not played

I'm using GPO as a vst plugin in Ableton Live 4 right now. I'm trying to use the double bass but when I try to play any notes say from C2 to Eb3 I get nothing, nada, zilch. I can hear the notes above and below this range but I'm missing that whole octave.
    Wintel: Pentium III 1ghz processor, 1.4mb RAM, WinXP Pro
    Mac: Powerbook 12", 1ghz processor, 768mb RAM, OSX 10.3.9

Re: Double bass note range not played

You need to remap the middle C assignment of Albeton to Middle C = C3. GPO is constructed so that middle C is mapped to C3, your program needs to reflect this and then you will get those notes. Conversely, if you cannot do that, it sounds like Eb3 would be equal to Eb2.

Unhappy Re: Double bass note range not played

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    You need to remap the middle C assignment of Albeton to Middle C = C3. GPO is constructed so that middle C is mapped to C3, your program needs to reflect this and then you will get those notes. Conversely, if you cannot do that, it sounds like Eb3 would be equal to Eb2.
    No no no. It's not like I'm playing notes that are not in the highlighted range. What is happening is that I'm not getting sound out the notes in between that highlighted ranged, I am not hearing notes that are in the "sweet spot" of the instrument. If I use GPO as a standalone it works fine, but as a vst it has that "hole". Also, I've noticed that if I play the keyboard notes on the screen, clicking with the mouse, that range IS heard. It's only when I'm using my MIDI keyboard as the input device. Anyone else having this?

P.S. you can't change the middle c designation in Live.
    Wintel: Pentium III 1ghz processor, 1.4mb RAM, WinXP Pro
    Mac: Powerbook 12", 1ghz processor, 768mb RAM, OSX 10.3.9

sharky,

The problem may be with Ableton Live 4. There were many VSTi issues including a known cutting note issue. A new update came out yesterday that fixes many VSTi problems. Try installing the new update for Ableton and let us know if that fixes the problem.

Gary Garritan

I have the new LIVE update (4.03) installed and it's working well (using it on an Apple PowerBook). I can't reproduce your problem with the misssing notes. I notice that the VST version of instruments seem to run -very- slightly more efficient than Audio Units in Live...a few percentage points on the CPU meter under heavy load.

As a whole, I find that Live is not a very efficient VSTi host, hopefully Ableton is able to optimize it further. The loop manipulation and on-the-fly arrangment is awesome.

Go Back to forum