• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mr Scarbee - what's up with the Clavinet D6?

Share/Bookmark

Mr Scarbee - what's up with the Clavinet D6?

I read about this being "imminent" some time ago. I sent a message via your site last week but didn't get a reply.

I ask mainly because I want to buy your Rhodes and Wurly as well, but if the D6 is about to appear, and you'll be offering the three as a set (as you mentioned on these boards) then I'll wait and get them all together, as that will presumably be cheaper.

Is it still on the drawing board, or has it been axed?

Re: Mr Scarbee - what's up with the Clavinet D6?

9-17-04 Update: See the announcement a few posts below.

Wow - 12Gb!!!!. That's pretty huge for something like a clavinet. I'm glad a top developer has seized the day on this but I had no idea it would be so space consuming. I've got a really nice EW Bosendorfer piano that is a 12th that size with minute long note decays. How come its so large?.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    Wow - 12Gb!!!!. How come its so large?.
    Different tone settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    Different tone settings?
    I think that's it. Doesn't a clavinet has 4 different pick-up configurations? And Scarbee mentioned somewhere it gonna be a 20 layer!

Some quick calculations. Rhodes is about 2gb for 12 layers. Clavinet guess: 2gb * 20/12 layers * 4 different tones: 13 gb. Seems about right.

Wink Re: Mr Scarbee - what's up with the Clavinet D6?

Clavinet is very often used in New Age music: It is very important to reproduce the stillness, silence and peacefulness after the sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Grubner
    Clavinet is very often used in New Age music: It is very important to reproduce the stillness, silence and peacefulness after the sounds!

I think you mean bagpipes. The stopping of which is the most beautiful sound on Earth!

Seriously, the new clav should be amazing... All the previous imitations I've heard have been disappointing.

I think I neither heard the Clavinet nor any bagpipes in new age music. Now, what rhymes with Clavinet? Spinet? Clarinet? Hmmm.

Here's what Scarbee's website says:
    (Sounds like it's gonna be great.)

Scarbee D6-C Announced!
    SCARBEE D6-C is a faithfull reproduction of the classic Hohner® Clavinet D6, recreating not only the funky sound but also the feel of the "real" instrument and thereby continuing the new Vintage Keyboard product line that was started with the release of the R.S.P. '73 (Rhodes® Stage Piano MK1 ‘73) and W.E.P. (Wurlitzer® 200A)

Originally we were set to sample the later “road model” E7 because of it’s better shielding and better condition, but after thorough testing against three different D6’s (to be sure!) we realized that the sound of the D6 was much better! The sound of the E7 lacked the aggressive and funky sound of the D6 – both due to a slightly different preamp – but also because of the aluminium case and general design.

The woody case of D6 simple gave us the “right” sound and by consultation some of the worlds best clavinet players we learned that this model was the way to go. Each of the 60 keys of the Clavinet D6® have been sampled in 16 different sustained velocities - both the sustained and the release sound for a total of 1920 samples. Furthernore we have invented a totally new sampling and programming technique that allows us to get even closer to the magic of the original instruments sound and action. All four basic sounds: Upper pickup, Lower pickup, Both pickups and Both pickups phase revert has been sampled – plus a special muted version of “Both Pickups” for a total of 9600 samples!

SCARBEE D6-C will ship in a 24 bit Giga 3.0 version and in a MULTI format version containing a 24 bit native Halion, Kontakt and Kompakt versions and will be available in December 2004 for MSRP $279.00

Go Back to forum