• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone having success with G3 on W2K?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone having success with G3 on W2K?

I installed it and everytime I opened the registration file or G3 orch, the system would reboot.
    What caused this was the midi in had a LAN O in instead the of the soundcard's midi in.
    I haven't registered it yet and can't do the trial because I did the clean giga utility.

I would like to hear if someone is using this on W2K.

Re: Anyone having success with G3 on W2K?

I tried, and when I attempted to open 'orchestra', it froze the computer. I got XP Pro, and it still freezes...
    I wish i knew what the problem was...
    It would be nice to actually use the software.

I'm a newbie when it comes to GigaStudio - former HALion user.

I've been hesitant to upgrade my DAW to XP due to all my stupid challenge-response plug-ins and other hardware tuned just right for Win2K. Therefore I made the jump to GS3 Orchestra with a bit of hesitation and fear.

Fortunately I can say that GS3 Orchestra is running fine and relatively stable on my Win2K DAW. I had some crashing problems with GigaPulse at first, but after reading some forumites having difficulty with VST plug-ins w/o a GUI mucking up GS3's internals I fixed the problem (disable them in GS3) and now it has been running smoothly.

I am also running the latest beta GSIF2 drivers from M-Audio (Delta66) and I can report that they are working well. My system is fairly modest so I cannot really stress GS3 but even when I have my CPU and HDD pegged out, GS3 merely snaps or crackles rather than crashing.

I've tried both ReWire and GSIF2 modes and both seem equally stable. I tend to use ReWire so I can utilize my DAW's Freeze and render options rather than the GS3 audio capture.

So far so good as they say...

Quote Originally Posted by esperlad
    I tried, and when I attempted to open 'orchestra', it froze the computer. I got XP Pro, and it still freezes...
    I wish i knew what the problem was...
    It would be nice to actually use the software.
    If you list both software and hardware, some of us could help you out. Sometimes software like Midi Yoke or Midi Ox can create problems. Also try it without Rewire and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    Fortunately I can say that GS3 Orchestra is running fine and relatively stable on my Win2K DAW. I had some crashing problems with GigaPulse at first, but after reading some forumites having difficulty with VST plug-ins w/o a GUI mucking up GS3's internals I fixed the problem (disable them in GS3) and now it has been running smoothly.
    Maybe you can enlighten me of your problems first-then solutions.

I spent 15 mintue on the phone with the half-assed registration process. It restarted as soon as I enterd in the other authorization crap.

I have two options-upgrade to XP or move it to my less powerful XP machine.
    If figure either way I will get screwed with the authorization again.

You wonder why people develop cracks?

windows XP pro, pentium four, 2.5 gz, two gigs of RAM, RME sound card (disabled), M-audio audiophile 2496 with latest driver from website. I have disabled rewire.

It was suggested that is try a different card, so I installed a different sound card. I will try re-installing the software. I had problems with win2k, so I got windows XP. I refomatted the hard drive, so nothing should be left over.

What is stragne is that I can actually use the giga editor. Only entering the reg number causes it to restart.

re-installed the program. tried opening the main part, it froze again...I de-selected rewire...

I'm going with a fresh install of XP. If it doesn't work then, I'll keep using 2.5 until they fix the bugs. I just won't be a part of they GS3 fan club. I won't be totally irritated since the upgrade was only $50. If figure the discounts and parts of the Vienna library are worth it.

Hopefully in my lifetime I will have a system it will work on.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    Maybe you can enlighten me of your problems first-then solutions.
    I haven't had too many problems (knock on wood) with GS3 but here they were:

1) Grace period disappeared after 1 day - annoying but fixed. Unfortunately it happened on a Saturday night so I didn't get my reg # until Monday afternoon.

2) NFX and VST plugs caused GS3 to crash intermittently - fixed by disabling all incompatible VST plug-ins, such as VSTi's, VST w/o GUI's. I just ended up disabling all my VST's as I would normally apply them in my sequencer.

3) Periodic crackling/popping - simple fix of changing my buffer size from my usual 256 to 512 or even 1024 for more intense mixing.

4) Still can't run certain GigaPianoII as my system is too weak. I can play it with low polyphony (i.e. avoid the sustain pedal) in real-time, but I can render it just fine.

Now my system specs are very modest for GS3 but it does the job while I plan out my next hardware system:

Hardware:
    Athlon 2400+
    ECS K7S5A Pro rev. 5 - SIS735 chipset
    512M DDR2100
    GeForce4 Ti4200
    M-Audio Delta66 with beta GSIF2 drivers
    2x40gig UDMA100 drives

Software:
    Win2K SP4
    Tracktion 1.6
    SampleTank2
    Albino2 (fantastic VA softsynth BTW)
    RM IV
    Halion 1.13
    Numerous VST effects

(No cracks/pirated software)

I know my system specs are rather dated and on the minimal size for GS3, but believe it or not in the few days I have played with it, I can actually get very decent polyphony of 200+ on non-GigaPulse instruments without much ado.

GigaPulse is awesome but alas when I use it, my poly drops quite a bit before I get stuttering, etc.

Hope this helps!

Go Back to forum