• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quick and Dirty VGS Demo

Quick and Dirty VGS Demo

Since people have been asking, I've decided to post a very quick and very dirty demo of Vienna Giga Symphony. How quick and dirty? I call it crap.mp3.

It's basically an improvisation that has no chordal structure, what chords it has often conflict, the piece doesn't build and doesn't really go anywhere. Other than that it's great.

I only used VGS, including pizz strings, harp, bassoon, percussion, trombone and tuba. I played it into the sequencer to a fixed metronome with no massaging. Everthing runs through a single instance of GigaPulse. It's the medium hall with all settings at the default values. The panning is default VGS. I didn't compress, EQ or do anything fancy. I spent about a minute reducing the volume of the tracks with expression fixed at 127 to match the tracks where I rode the expression around 90.

The reason I'm posting my crap demo is so people can get a feel for what they will get when putting down the first tracks of VGS with no spit and no polish. In the world of GS3, 24-bit VGS and GigaPulse, this is what "raw" sounds like - after an MP3 encode anyway.

Anyway, here's the link.

I hope you like my crap demo. Don't expect it on the VSL site anytime soon.

Re: Quick and Dirty VGS Demo

Jon, Very "Dark" melody..., and its sounds very well in the space, very realistics,
    "God is Love"

Pretty crappy indeed (I expected more chaos. There's way to much structure in this one) but damn that GigaPulse ... it sounds incredible! And this is only one instance!

Alex Cremers

Thanks for posting, so the people who don't have GS3 will stop asking for demos.

I have GS3, and the GigaPulse ROCKS!!!! It seems to be a perfect match with the VSL dry samples.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The panning is default VGS.
    Would you care to elaborate on that? I kinda thought the gigapulse "seating" would make panning "less needed".. How does it work? I saw Jay Bacal using mainly mono samples in his great Ravel Mockup. How are the VGS samples with respect to stereo spread?
    I know stereo perspective and panning are different issues, but it would be nice to learn more about the possibilities in GS3 with respect to both..

And thanks Jon for taking the time to make the demo!

Jon, I thought this 'out of the box GP' demo was perfect. It is just these raw demos that sell me. No wizardly efforts - just playing what we are going to here when we load it up the first time. Thanks for taking 4 weeks to put this together

Rob Elliott Music

Thumbs up Re: Quick and Dirty VGS Demo

Very nice demo!

Far away I saw toxic vipers creeping in the sand of a wasted concert hall. The world-famous predelirant conductor kissing the friendly intentional detuned harp with spiders on it....

Gigapulse rocks!

* Diego, you mentined my favorite parts. I like the melody and am happy with the results of the sustain bassoon patch. And the space is very nice with no work on my part.

* Alex, the piece started off with structure, then got sloppy. The single triangle hit seemed to put a period on the end of the sentence, and the harp arpeggio confirmed it. Surely I'll do more chaos in the future!

* Martin, do you really think people will stop asking for demos?

* unison, in this case I didn't do any special seating. The default medium hall impulse spreads the source from the left-front chair to the right-front chair. The mics are wide left and right. By panning the source instrument it appears somewhere between the chairs listed above. I didn't touch the panning knobs, so the left-right placement was fully determined by the VGS programmers. This method is very light on the CPU - only one instance needed and no extra work is required by the composer/performer/mixer.

Giga is totally flexible in regards to placement. In the DSP station you can set the pan and the width of a stereo source, so you can easily narrow the width of a stereo recording. This can be especially useful for close mic'd pianos. You can then run the pan/width result to a couple of chairs in GigaPulse, and then place the mics as you wish.

A good example of this might be when you want to place your woodwinds or percussion in a row. Rather than seat each player, just pan them across a line, and then set their left-most and right-most seats.

For the ultimate in GigaPulse you can narrow the stereo samples to mono or near-mono and seat each player individually.

For this demo I chose the easiest path. The default panning with default settings for the medium hall. It only gets better from here!

* Rob, I'm glad that you appreciate the demo as it is. It's out-of-the-box and unpolished. Wow, those four weeks went fast. It only felt like an hour or so.

* Hans, classic post! I'm still laughing. I want Roger Dean to paint a poster with your quote and Jon Anderson to sing it!

And yes, GigaPulse rocks.

Go Back to forum