• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Coverting Stormdrum to Giga

Share/Bookmark

Coverting Stormdrum to Giga

Ok, I am totaly weird about these things but I have heard so many AWESOME things about the product but I really want to use it in Giga. Does it translate and how well? I am willing to put alittle effort into it too if need be but I just want to make sure it CAN before I start looking to buy it. Thanks,

James W.G. Smith

Re: Coverting Stormdrum to Giga

SD actually comes in its own playback engine (Kompakt) so I dont think you can really.

I think the samples are protected and I know you have to go and authorise the product at the NI website.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

All of the "NI player based" sample libraries from Best Service, East-West, Garritan, and Zero-G have encrypted samples, which can only be played in that player or in Kompakt/Kontakt.

None of the samples can be exported, nor can they be "translated" by "sample format conversion" products like Chicken Systems' Translator. There was a recent thread in the Chicken System's forum about it:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17972

Well, crap...that just sucks. Ok, another question, and this is mainly for Nick:

Will you keep selling Rare Instruments and all that stuff in the old 16 bit Giga format after your new ones come out? I want to buy that, but can't yet afford it. Thanks,

James W.G. Smith

Hey James,

You may want to post this in the EW forums instead. I don't know how much they read the other forums.

My thoughts are, if they don't discontinue Rare Instruments 1, it will still sell in Giga format. As you can imagine, most of their new stuff is all Kontakt-based.

Why are you so against Kontakt? Giga has its usefulness and its own strengths, but many people are getting work done with the Kontakt-based instruments. Just curious is all.

FV

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have NOTHING against Kontakt, but I have been using Gigastudio since I began writing music via samplers, and have spent a LONG time learing all the ins and outs of it, and making alot of adjustments to my sample libraries. I don't want to learn a totally new program from scratch, nor do I want to fork up the $450 for it.

Now, about Intakt, I would actually never use it. I just wanted Stormdrum for it's Multi-samples. I have never used loops because I LOVE writing rythem parts.

But in any case, thanks for your help, this has cleared up quite a few questions.

James W.G. Smith

I was thinking about getting Stormdrum and converting the samples as well. Well, it's really messed up that the samples have been encrypted. I would expect that buying a license includes fully licensed use of them, including editing samples etc.

The library can be converted but not easily. Essentially, you could bounce to disk each sample and then build instruments in Giga manually. Not pretty, not easy, but it could be done. Assuming that you own a licensed copy, I don't think that there is nothing wrong with that.

I can understand people's reluctance to a certain extent because they don't have as much freedom (more like ability) to edit the samples (in Kontakt-based libs) as with other libs but, frankly, it sounds so good and there's nothing else like it out there that it doesn't bother me that much.

Different strokes I guess.

FV

James - the cool thing about StormDrum and the provided Kompakt player is that you could drop that into your main sequencer as a direct plug in and still run all of your Giga machines. Just a thought.

Frederick Russ
    Ezine: Sanctus Angelis Online
    "Music Technology News for Orchestral Productions"

You could use Redmatica's Auto Sampler to simplify the process:
    http://www.redmatica.com/Site/Pages/AM.php

BTW, you don't need to buy Kontakt to run StormDrum, it comes with Kompakt and Intakt built-in. Trust me, it's cake to get up and running, and the power is so amazing that you'll wonder how you managed before it!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum