• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please help mi with Compressor settings.

Share/Bookmark

Question Please help mi with Compressor settings.

I'm not so good with it (this limiters,compressors etc.)
    I'm composing a Orchestral track.... 90% of the track is at 80% of volume and during orchestra hits it reaches 100% volume or even more
    i don't want to change velocity of hits because it's many of them so what compression settings i have to choose to make the whole tune more dynamic... but not to have hits over the 100% ?
    BTW: did you understand me ?

Re: Please help mi with Compressor settings.

What kind of compressor are you using? From my very limited time with some of the Waves compressors, they have a limiter built in that you can control the peak output while compressing the heck out of the song/track.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    What kind of compressor are you using? From my very limited time with some of the Waves compressors, they have a limiter built in that you can control the peak output while compressing the heck out of the song/track.
    I use the VST Dynamics Plugin In Cubase SL 2.
    I don't have money for Waves Yet.

I don't either, but I do have access to a cool music store that let's me play around without too much hassle from the owners. Sorry, I don't know anything about SL, or I'd help.

Question Re: Please help mi with Compressor settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I don't either, but I do have access to a cool music store that let's me play around without too much hassle from the owners. Sorry, I don't know anything about SL, or I'd help.
    But technically what should i do ?
    Limit or compress ? What treshold or something.... how would you set it in waves ? maybe you can write down the settings of compressor and/or limiter and i'll try the same?

Smile Re: Please help mi with Compressor settings.

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    But technically what should i do ?
    Limit or compress ? What treshold or something.... how would you set it in waves ? maybe you can write down the settings of compressor and/or limiter and i'll try the same?

You may try both. As I remember correctly there are three buttons from which you can try different routing ( 1-2-3 ; 1-3-2; and so on)

I would say the limiter should be at the end of the signal flow.( 1-2-3)
    As for the Cubase SL compressor, be careful. Try a ratio of 1:6, attack should be also moderate( not too fast )the release is auto, but you should experiment a little bit with the whole settings to achieve the level you want to.
    Oh...don't forget the gain knob

For really good results you shuld buy good Dynamics plugins such as waves ( but very pricey) or better the Nomad Blue Tubes Bundle ...It is amazing.

best regards
    Przemyslaw K.

Quote Originally Posted by Przemek K.
    You may try both. As I remember correctly there are three buttons from which you can try different routing ( 1-2-3 ; 1-3-2; and so on)

I would say the limiter should be at the end of the signal flow.( 1-2-3)
    As for the Cubase SL compressor, be careful. Try a ratio of 1:6, attack should be also moderate( not too fast )the release is auto, but you should experiment a little bit with the whole settings to achieve the level you want to.
    Oh...don't forget the gain knob

For really good results you shuld buy good Dynamics plugins such as waves ( but very pricey) or better the Nomad Blue Tubes Bundle ...It is amazing.

best regards
    Przemyslaw K.
    Thanks Przemek. I'll try that.

Luk, you've already got some great advice, I would just add that in your limiter, set it to -0.3 db as the maximum ceiling. This is the most that many CD players can handle.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Talking Re: Please help mi with Compressor settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Luk, you've already got some great advice, I would just add that in your limiter, set it to -0.3 db as the maximum ceiling. This is the most that many CD players can handle.
    Thanks for help Scott.

Go Back to forum