• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Athlon64 under GS3... Now, or Ever?

Share/Bookmark

Athlon64 under GS3... Now, or Ever?

Hi, This being my 1st post and all, please bare with me..

I have searched this forum at length, but can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to this question..

I have a copy of GS3, and have read the infamous yellow sheet. Since we're currently in production, using GS 2.5 on all our systems, and because its not recommended to run GS 3 & GS 2.5 on the same system, ive decided that to get around the downtime, I will have to build a new PC and intall GS 3 on that one, and test it out...

Now, my question is. I want to build a system around an AMD Atlon 64 chip.
    (The top end pentium systems seem a bit untried, with their PCI express, new RAM, and new chipsets). Now I understand that 64bit processors are not supported, but id like a little deeper info on this if anyone doesn't mind?

Is it 64bit chips that run in the win 32bit enviroment thats not supported (most likely)??,.. or as ive read on this forum once- just 64bit processors running in a 64bit environment?

and

if they're not currently supported at all, do you think we can expect support for Atlon 64's under windows XP (32bit) in the future?

CHeers guys

Re: Athlon64 under GS3... Now, or Ever?

I think this is a critical issue. I can excuse Tascam for not supporting W2k - it's older and has no real value over WinXP. 64-bit processors are another story.

AMD has had a successful launch of its 64-bit platform. It's taken some time to settle down with three different sockets in the mix, but things are finally tending towards the 939 socket. In some recent tests on TomsHardware.com using Nuendo the new AMD chips had higher performance than the Intel ones.

Intel's platform is reaching the end of its life. The P4 platform will soon be a dead end. Who knows how successful their new platforrm will be? It may take a while to settle out. Look at RAMBUS as an example of a platform sideroad to nowhere.

For those of us building new systems the 939 socket is starting to make a lot of sense. It would be nice to know if anybody has one working with GS3 today. And it is important that GS3 support the platform in a future maintenance release.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I think this is a critical issue. I can excuse Tascam for not supporting W2k - it's older and has no real value over WinXP. 64-bit processors are another story.

AMD has had a successful launch of its 64-bit platform. It's taken some time to settle down with three different sockets in the mix, but things are finally tending towards the 939 socket. In some recent tests on TomsHardware.com using Nuendo the new AMD chips had higher performance than the Intel ones.

Intel's platform is reaching the end of its life. The P4 platform will soon be a dead end. Who knows how successful their new platforrm will be? It may take a while to settle out. Look at RAMBUS as an example of a platform sideroad to nowhere.

For those of us building new systems the 939 socket is starting to make a lot of sense. It would be nice to know if anybody has one working with GS3 today. And it is important that GS3 support the platform in a future maintenance release.

-JF

Yeah, i completly agree. The absolutely nailed the reasons why we're uninspired to down the old P4 route

I am currently trying to get GS3 (or 2.5 for that matter) to work on a dual Opteron system. From what I understand, the Opteron is basically an Athlon 64 with the MP capability switched "on" and can run either singularly or multi. (someone pleae correct me if I'm wrong about this)

Anyway, I'm having big trouble, but this being a dual setup, it may or may not apply to you:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24738

Hi,

I have a Athlon 64 bit processor running with GS3 and it works fine. At first, whenever I would load samples past 60% with 2.5 GB of memory, the computer would reboot, but that happened on my other two non 64 bit machines. Although, that has not happened again for a while. There are seemingly random errors that cause GS3 to close but these are few and far between and I rarely have a reboot. I also run Microsoft Outlook without a noticeable problem on the same machine.

If you need any other info just ask.

Hope this helps!

David

Quote Originally Posted by David G
    Hi,
    I would load samples past 60% with 2.5 GB of memory, the computer would reboot, but that happened on my other two non 64 bit machines. Although, that has not happened again for a while.
    David
    david, this is more a GS3 error. it seems that it has a problem with more then 1 gb of ram.
    i had the same problem on different machines.

i am testing this setup right now:

athlon 64 3500, gigabyte k8nsnxp-939, 2 x kingston 512mb, rme 9652 hdsp

with no big erros so far. its crazy fast

but i had not much time

Quote Originally Posted by wonder6oy
    I am currently trying to get GS3 (or 2.5 for that matter) to work on a dual Opteron system. From what I understand, the Opteron is basically an Athlon 64 with the MP capability switched "on" and can run either singularly or multi. (someone pleae correct me if I'm wrong about this)

Anyway, I'm having big trouble, but this being a dual setup, it may or may not apply to you:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24738
    Nice...ill keep an eye on your thread

Quote Originally Posted by David G
    Hi,

I have a Athlon 64 bit processor running with GS3 and it works fine. At first, whenever I would load samples past 60% with 2.5 GB of memory, the computer would reboot, but that happened on my other two non 64 bit machines. Although, that has not happened again for a while. There are seemingly random errors that cause GS3 to close but these are few and far between and I rarely have a reboot. I also run Microsoft Outlook without a noticeable problem on the same machine.

If you need any other info just ask.

Hope this helps!

David
    Thanks man. You give me some hope for the future. Im glad that it is possible to run GS 3 on the Atlon64, and keep it stable.... But I guess ur saying it is still is a box of surprises... With what you've just told me, if I could just get even a semi official promise that Tascam are working on officially supporting these processors in the future.. I think id go ahead and get myself the system

Thanks so much for the info that Giga3 indeed runs on amd64 systems; the info couldn't be more timely! I need to buy an amd64 machine in the next couple days for my day gig. It will be used for 64-bit Linux driver development for a month or two. After that, the machine will be available for running audio stuff, and I'd like to put Giga3 on it.

If Giga3 didn't run on amd64 machines I would have bought the cheapest possible amd64 for the Linux project. But now I'll go ahead and get a more high-end system that should be better for audio. (I love it when I can double-dip on projects!) I'll let you know how it goes.

- Steve

P.S. I'm leaning towards an Asus A8V with Athlon 3500+ with 2G memory to start, going to 4G memory when all software involved becomes truly 64-bit aware.

Got it working on the Opterons - just needed to switch off the file monitoring service.

Wow! Great news! I bet that system absolutely rocks. Let us know how many GPulse instances you can run.

-JF

Go Back to forum