• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does Anyone Like GS3?

Share/Bookmark

Does Anyone Like GS3?

I graze through the forum now and again looking for rave reviews of GS3, but so far, I've mostly seen posts related to problems or minor gripes.

Some of you must already have created some music with GS3. Do you like it?
    Gabriel

Re: Does Anyone Like GS3?

I think many of us are still working through the start up pains. Of course, for a lot of stuff, you won't tell the difference between 2.5 and 3. The GigaPianoII is better than the GigaPiano I, but I still don't like it compared to some of the Giga2 Post Pianos.

The instrument layering is there and does work, which I find a plus. I'm still waiting to get the GS3 specific sample sets (other than than the GigaPiano) going.

Give it another week or two.

In between troubleshooting, I can tell you that it sure does LOOK nice
    Overall, it seems to be performing quite well, barring the specific problem I'm having (another thread).
    The integrated VST really wasn't that big a deal to me until I tried it. VERY nice! (a definite rally cry for those uf us trying to keep it all in one box, eleminating the need for multiple licenses.)

I do have a complaint regarding the sample library, though. It seems that a large number of the samples are "broken" versions with limited keys and so on that actually prevent you from being able to use them in a performance. I understand the marketing approach to this and all, but would have MUCH rather preferred 1 or 2 fully usable samples to demo a library than half a dozen broken ones I can't even use in a mix. Dissapointing to say the least.

I'm suprised no one has brought this up.

FlyingRon,
    Just how does the layering work. I've been layering in GS2.5 by using MidiOx to send duplicate Midi messages to all midi ports (each of which is loaded with a different instrument by virtue of MidiOx's versatile remapping abilities). The GS3 approach might be more elegant.

Can you explain how you would set up, say, an 8 instrument stack and send fade and "expression" midi streams to the instruments independently? I am able to send out independent "curves" of things like fading commands to separate channels on separate ports.... so, I can for example send a "curve" of midi values for fading of a sample that (in response to movement of a pot) slowly rises to a maximum value and then rapidly falls to 0. At the same time I can be sending out different "curves" to other channels on other ports. Same thing would be true for any other midi parameter I would want to send continuous controller messages to. How would GS3 do this?
    Thanks,
    Gabriel

Hell, yes!
    Does it have child diseases, yes, but so has all new software. I feel that GS3 are a great tool and that it will set the standard for other samplers.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

I do have a complaint regarding the sample library, though. It seems that a large number of the samples are "broken" versions with limited keys and so on that actually prevent you from being able to use them in a performance. I understand the marketing approach to this and all, but would have MUCH rather preferred 1 or 2 fully usable samples to demo a library than half a dozen broken ones I can't even use in a mix. Dissapointing to say the least.

Maybe for pop, but VSL stuff is very generous to say the least.

Well, I am wasting time and finding problems, yet: I like it! Very powerful in many ways. I'm optimistic about resolving most of the issues ... but to be sure have lost many hours work this week. Do kind of wish I had waited for the upgrade for a few weeks ...

You punch the "layer samples" button, and then when you load instrument to a midi channel that already holds one, the two instruments pop up their own little bar under a combined "master" one for the channel...now you understand what all that extra space below the 16 midi channels is for :-).

Each of the layered instruments has it's own volume/effects/pan controls and you can bind them to different midi controller parameters.

I think what you are asking for does just happen. You can load up 8 instruments on channel 1, just like you would have done before with 8 different midi channels and replicating the notes.

andyt

Many of the free sample libraries are "broken", but there are some really fantastic freebies non the less. My favourites are:

- the free solo violin (composers choice) .. my favourite freebie despite some dodgy notes
    - a fantastic solo trumpet from Westgate
    - some great SONIC Implants Con Sordino string ensembles
    - westgate guitar
    - Notre Dame Organ (brilliant)

I think overall Westgate and Sonic Implants have been phenominally generous, with some excellent sounding and very useable instruments.

I haven't played on GS3 for a few days, but came back tonight with completely refreshed and rested ears ..... and I am just astounded and astonished at how good the above sample libaries sound through GigaPulse.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Love it. Sounds great. Makes money. All good.

Go Back to forum