• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cubase Sx 3 impressions?

Share/Bookmark

Cubase Sx 3 impressions?

I just ordered my upgrade today...but I was curious if it lives up to the hype. Anyone using it yet...I'm curious how well Sonar 4 will do...it seems to have a hefty list of new features.
    Edward W. Trevino
    Dandlewood Productions
    www.dandlewood.com

Re: Cubase Sx 3 impressions?

Just installed it yesterday.

At the moment I'm skimming through the manual to see what's new (I wish they'd release a 'New things in SX3' manual so I didn't have to wade through the whole 'Operations Manual' each time they update).

From what I've seen so far, there seem to be quite a few changes where I think 'that's a helpful idea' rather than any revolutionary changes. If you use outboard effects I think you'll find the new FX bus routing helpful.

It gives real peace of mind to be able to be able to install it alongside SX2 rather than overwrite it (the default settings on installation actually encourage you to do this), so you can keep your hopefully stable SX2 setup intact just in case there are any SX3 teething problems (too early to say if there are any of those at the moment).

Still over half the manual to go, so perhaps there's something revolutionary in the pages to come! So far I'd say it looks a good update to an already excellent product.

Steve

Had preordered it and recieved it last week. Its surprisingly good.. amazing fixes and tweaks to the workflow as well (and a vastly improved freeze function, which is really fast and actually well usable now).
    So far I can highly recommend it. One bug I found is when you unfreeze something, chose 'keep freeze files', then after that you re-freeze with deep freeze (= the "unload vsti once frozen" tickbox ticked), then save and close the project.. upon re-opening the project , the deep frozen vstis had been unloaded entirely (and the freeze files for these were gone). the normal frozen tracks were unaffected. Haven't been able to reproduce this bug yet, was annoying though.
    Anyway, other than this occurance, very smooth performance (faster screen redraw as well).

Markus

it's GREAT !!!!

mbmb

I've been using it for several full working days. It's full of bugs but most of them are minor ones. I've used it in both XP and OS X and it has been rather solid concidering that Steinberg has a habit of doing the alpha testing with the beta testers and making the paying customers do the beta testing. I upgraded from SX1 to SX3 and therefore there is a lot of new things for me, don't know which were already implemented in SX2. A nice product as it is but the bugs have to fixed before I can think it is a great one.

I can only speak for Sonar 4. As Tony the Tiger would say, "It's GGGGGRRRRRRoovy!"

Hey, Tony's not that cliche.

I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

So far, I like it. It's nothing like the 1.x to 2.x upgrade, but they added some nice features. My favorite is the parts order, where you can define different sections and play them back in any order..even repeat sections...then convert the whole thing to a linear sequence.

They promise a maintenance release this month to clear up some minor issues. So far, I haven't encountered any show stoppers. All in all, very stable, very feature rich. There is a "bug list and workaround" on their forums where they try to keep a list of issues and how to deal with them.

SX 3.0 is great if not for all the bugs

Definetely keep SX 2.2 alongside. I had this commercial to write for and SX 3.0 would refuse to show video (with Quicktime)
    Also I constantly see these annoying "low memory" messages even when I hardly have anything loaded (and 2.5 gigs of ram)

I love all the new features but wish Steinberg hadn't rushed to release a version full of bugs...

Its very cool and surpizingly stable for a 1st build. I feel sorry for Logic 7 upgraders, that looks like a nightmare. My favorite new feature is the In-place Key Editor only it crashes SX3 if u open and close it couple times. I really hope they fix this in the next build (next couple weeks!?!). Also Audio Warp is surprisingly good. As long as u dont jump too many BPM`s in either direction. Also workspaces is very convienent (taken from Samplitude). Overall ..i thought,well worth the upgrade. Rich

Quote Originally Posted by P de Caumette
    SX 3.0 is great if not for all the bugs

Definetely keep SX 2.2 alongside. I had this commercial to write for and SX 3.0 would refuse to show video (with Quicktime)
    Also I constantly see these annoying "low memory" messages even when I hardly have anything loaded (and 2.5 gigs of ram)

I love all the new features but wish Steinberg hadn't rushed to release a version full of bugs...
    Paul , i just did some music for a CGI video in SX3 and i had some studdering with the quicktime Video until i fiddled with it and changed my APG card and drivers. Now i`m finding it works better that it did with SX 2.2. I highly recommend Matrox cards (P650 is great) if u dont already have one..I also had to increase the video cache in 'Preferences' to about 65 mb. I dunno ..its worth a try.. Rich

Go Back to forum