• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mod Wheel

Share/Bookmark

Mod Wheel

Hello all,
    My controller keyboard is a Roland that has a spring loaded mod/ pitch bend "stick". It is not very conducive to GPO. Does anyone use one of the Oxygen controllers? or something of the same ilk? I'd like to get some feedback. I use DP 4.12

Tom D

Re: Mod Wheel

What keyboard do you have? If it has any other control sliders you could probably remap them to CC#1 (mod wheel). If you can't do it within your keyboard, there is a feature called Consoles in DP which can be used to remap controllers, but it's a bit clumsy to set up.

I think the Oxygen keyboards feel rather cheap, to me the Evolution line seems a little more solid.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Roland RS-9 as a controller. My temporary solution was to bring out another keyboard (a Yamaha CS-1x) and hook it to a secondary MIDI input and use its wheels while playing the Roland. But I'm probably going to buy an M-Audio controller or somethng.

Hi MotuHari, welcome to this forum!
    I use a Yamaha KX88, it is an older, weighted keyboard. The mod wheel is not spring loaded and the pitch bend is super smooth. It also has four slide faders that can be assigned any CC# you want. These are absolutely awesome keyboards and are not that expensive on Ebay if you can find one. Contact your local music store and ask if one of their customers has a KX88 that they would part with. Or better yet, put a wanted add on the local bulletin board at that store. That would be my recommendation.
    I too use DP4.12 and love it!
    DPDan

One thing to keep in mind if you are in the market for a new keyboard or a secondary one: With the soon-to-be-released GPO update it will be advantageous to have at least 8 assignable sliders/knobs. Some of the optional features in the update take advantage of additional controllers and the availability of assignable sliders/knobs can be very convenient. I've been using an M-Audio Evolution MK-449C as a secondary keyboard during development with good results.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I've been using an M-Audio Evolution MK-449C as a secondary keyboard during development with good results.
    That's good to hear, that Evolution is the keyboard I've been planning to purchase for my "hotel room" rig; I currently have a Yamaha controller with a single slider (have Kurzweil K2500 with 8 sliders at home, fabulous keyboard feel).

Thumbs up Re: Mod Wheel

Thanks for the response. Since I'm a pianist I'm thinking of the Keystation 88. Will this give all of the functionality I will need for implimenting the updates? If there are any other 88 note controllers that would fit the bill please let me know.
    This forum seems like one of the friendliest and most informative sites I've seen. I'm glad I decided to get on board.

Thanks again,
    Tom D

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi MotuHari, welcome to this forum!
    I use a Yamaha KX88, it is an older, weighted keyboard. The mod wheel is not spring loaded
    The mod wheel or the pitch wheel? Non-springloaded pitch wheels are great- and rare. I grew up on the Mini-Moog and I got used to doing all my vibrato and stuff with just the pitch wheel. And, it's nice for that instant tranpose too! I wish more controlers came that way.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    The mod wheel or the pitch wheel?
    the mod wheel is not spring-loaded, but the pitch wheel is,, I like it!

btw, what is your avatar? It looks kinda like an L.E.D.

Whoa.... 8 sliders?!?!? CAN NOT WAIT FOR UPDATE!!!!!
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum